FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Era Gold V

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
kgilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Era Gold V
    Posted: 04 Jan 2013 at 12:21pm

After about 3 weeks of burn-in I finally got to use my new Era Gold.  The first album I listened to was Muddy Waters, Folk Singer and my first response was WOW!

He was right there in the room with me.

I had been using the phono section of my NAD preamp but now connect the Era Gold to a line input on the same preamp.  For what it’s worth I use a Marantz TT-15S1 turntable with a Clearaudio Virtuoso  Ebony MM cartridge.

I’m a happy man.Smile

Spent a lot of time over the holidays listening to vinyl and found new detail in many well-loved recordings.

Keith

digital man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digital man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2013 at 3:37pm
Congratulations! Sounds like it was worth the wait.

How do like your Clearaudio cartridge? I am considering getting a really nice MM cartridge like that to replace my high output moving coil cartridge.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2013 at 4:19pm
I remember the first time I listened to my Era Gold V I had the same reaction - though this was over a Quincy Jones big band album. I'd never heard it so explosive before ShockedBig smile . . . 

I too would like your opinions  of the Ebony MM. I'm hopefully getting another TT soon and am looking around for something good to put on it. DigitalMan - what HOMC are you using at the moment? I've been reading good things about the Benz Micro ACE H . . . 
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
kgilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2013 at 4:22pm
I like the cartridge a lot but I have not done any real comparisons. The TT is a joint development between Marantz and Clearaudio and came as a package. It was a very easy setup. I got it a few years ago as my venture back into vinyl after almost 40 years. Grew up with vinyl in the 60's and 70's then ditched everything for CD's. I still like the sound of SACD's but vinyl is definitely my favourite medium.
Keith
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2013 at 4:39pm
Thanks for that Keith. I suspect we're similar ages! I'm still playing my original 1964 Hard Days Night!

In order not to hi-jack your EGV thread I've started another one here for cartridge recommendations . . . 
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
kgilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2013 at 4:48pm
I suspect we are both fairly "senior". The first record I bought was the She Loves You single - and I still have it.
digital man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digital man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2013 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by morris_minor morris_minor wrote:

. DigitalMan - what HOMC are you using at the moment? I've been reading good things about the Benz Micro ACE H . . . 

I'm using a Sumiko Blackbird. Overall, I like it very much because it tracks so well and it has plenty of speed and detail. I feel that its main weakness is a lack of weight and body in the bass and mid bass. The notes are all there, but they don't have enough meat on the bone, if that makes any sense. I would give up a tiny bit of detail for a little more reality. I'm thinking MM might be the way to go, but I don't really know for sure.

One more week and my Reflex will be mostlyburned in. Then I will focus more on the cartridge.....

I think it was Tom Petty who said, "Yeah the waiting is the hardest part".

Edited by digital man - 04 Jan 2013 at 5:07pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic