FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Solo Diamond Ultra Linear - Oh My God!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 14>
Author
LOINER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOINER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2014 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by Ash Ash wrote:

I'm a music lover, not a gear lover, so if some aspect of my equipment affects my immersion and enjoyment of the recordings, I will tell you straight.

As are we all Ash but if by turning a plug through 180 degrees helps to increase your enjoyment of the music where is the harm?
STUART
SOLO ULTRA LINEAR DIAMOND EDITION
LAUTUS DUAL MONO 1.5M INTERCONNECTS
GRAM AMP 2SE
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2014 at 10:10am
No harm at all but some people will immediately assume that I'm off my rocker... I'm generally ignored by people in real life, even when I do have something useful to say, let alone when I suggest something that is difficult to believe.

My perception alone that there seems to be a difference is not satisfactory evidence/proof that this is the truth. This is a test that the individual customer must perform themselves, in the asbence of other people.

I was listening to my Solo ULDE the other day through HD540II, thinking "Wow, this is great. This is how headphones were always meant to sound. This amplifier is certainly a product of excellent judgement." I listened further and was starting to think "This Solo ULDE clearly needs alot more use though because it doesn't yet sound as pure as I think it is capable of... I think Graham would say that the intelligibility of the subtleties needs to be allowed some time to improve from 'cold'." Then I thought "Hang on a minute, will it still sound the same if I start swapping cable directions around?" Evil Smile So I swapped the AC cable around to start with, listened again then thought "Wasn't this more congested before? Confused It sounds pure now (Why?? O_o) but does still need more use to enhance the sound immersion even further."

I'm quite a rational person most of the time so I'm not so sure that I'm imagining this...

As I've said: "We don't see things as they are. We see things as WE are." Thumbs Up
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2014 at 10:34am
Since hearing, like all our senses, has to be interpreted by the brain and thus subject to myriad psychological influences it's a miracle we all hear in such a similar way at all. When you factor in expectations, prejudices, tiredness, moods etc it's no wonder people "genuinely" hear different things. And the lack of evidence for something just means we have to look harder . . . 
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2014 at 2:00pm
The Solo ULDE differs from other amps because of its stability. Many an amplifier designer will push the phase margins to obtain a "wow factor" that is no part of the music - it envelopes it with a false halo (technically referred to as ringing). The Solo ULDE is so stable that little if any halo can exist, so the wow-factor is the music, period.

That is the difference I have been labouring over all these years - to bring out the full performance extremes of the music, whilst adding as little as possible of the artifacts of the electronics doing the job.

OK, some prefer electronic sounds and the market is full of equipment that will do that, often at very high prices to be considered high-end.

To those people my sympathies ... but there is an alternative.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
LOINER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LOINER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2014 at 2:24pm
Graham nobody is doubting your ability as a designer and yes your equipment does have the WOW factor that's why we are all customers and we have all experienced that WOW factor.What we were discussing was something that even you have admitted is something beyond your control,namely the polarity of the transformer windings and if by turning the plug through 180 degrees gives us a WOW WOW Factor then......
STUART
SOLO ULTRA LINEAR DIAMOND EDITION
LAUTUS DUAL MONO 1.5M INTERCONNECTS
GRAM AMP 2SE
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2014 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by LOINER LOINER wrote:

Graham nobody is doubting your ability as a designer and yes your equipment does have the WOW factor that's why we are all customers and we have all experienced that WOW factor.What we were discussing was something that even you have admitted is something beyond your control,namely the polarity of the transformer windings and if by turning the plug through 180 degrees gives us a WOW WOW Factor then......

Embarrassed
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2014 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by Chris Firth Chris Firth wrote:

Originally posted by CageyH CageyH wrote:

Call me sceptical, but as the + and - change 50 times a second, I would be surprised if that were really the case.

No it doesn't.
The live is always live, and the neutral return is always the neutral return.
The current changes between positive and negative parts of the AC cycle 50 times a second.

I have to disagree with you. In AC, the polarity changes 50 times a second.
Live remains live, and neutral remains neutral as you have stated, but the supply follows a sine wave form.
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk/foundation/html/f3-1-4.htm

Edited by CageyH - 24 Feb 2014 at 7:53pm
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 14>
  Share Topic