FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Solo Diamond Ultra Linear - Oh My God!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
Author
discrete badger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discrete badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 6:20pm
When I put the GS1000 on my ears I hear a highly detailed and extended crystal clear treble with very low colouration. I also hear an extremely strong mid-bass. I hear little deep bass and little in the "presence" region. The soundstaging is very spacious and impressive in a technical sense.

This makes me want, in a nutshell, to turn the volume down and listen to large-scale orchestral music. Even then, I don't find I can relax into the music and forget about the hi-fi, which, for me, is what it's all about. Anything guitar/drum/keyboard based is dominated by the strong mid-bass and for me it is a disincentive to listen to this kind of music.

You're quite right to be highly sceptical of subjective opinions, if I may say so. All of my perceptions are a consequence of the way the unusually sized cups of the GS1000 interact with the shape of my ears and the way my brain prefers to experience sound. 

Many people love the way the GS1000 sounds.

Edmond_Terakopian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edmond_Terakopian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 7:35pm
Thanks again Badger; much appreciated. Interesting feedback. I think with the Arcam DAC feeding out quite strong bass, it may fill in what felt was missing? Proof is in the listening though!
I don't think you took offence at my comment, as non was intended and it was more aimed at me! I'm asking highly subjective opinions and we may well have identical taste, but we may not! I fully agree though, it's about getting lost in the music and not the HiFi.

Food for thought :-)

Cheers,

Edmond
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 11:36pm
I had the GS1000 for a short while and returned it, it was all low end and top end with no mids. Much prefer the RS-1 or the RS-2 which I found much more musical and balanced while still retaining the Grado house sound.
Miguel

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edmond_Terakopian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2012 at 12:07am
Thanks; a tad worrying! I've read a lot about how much these headphones need to be burnt in. Perhaps that may have helped?? Hard to tell. A lot of reviews seem to favour them, but I guess any review unit would be burnt in and ready?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote discrete badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2012 at 8:51am
I burned my pair in very thoroughly. The sound didn't change.

jamescodway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamescodway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2012 at 9:07am
Originally posted by Edmond_Terakopian Edmond_Terakopian wrote:

A lot of reviews seem to favour them

Both professional and user reviews (including mine) are highly subjective. They can help narrow down to an audition shortlist but none (!) can be taken as gospel. Reviews from Users you are very familiar with (their writing) can be more helpful as some of the variables will be better understood (taste, equipment etc) to be taken into account. Not least though, many reviewers perceptions will vary over time.

Hope this helps.

James
Voyager - HD25

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edmond_Terakopian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2012 at 9:48am
Thanks gents. Hmm, worrying to hear that Badger.

Indeed, it is all subjective!