FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Spatia Speaker Cable and Spatia Links Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ellisdj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ellisdj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spatia Speaker Cable and Spatia Links Review
    Posted: 06 Dec 2012 at 12:46pm

Now the loan pair of 3.5m Spatia are on their way back I thought I would share a few words about my experiences with them this last couple of weeks. 

They are in a word Outstanding, I have tried lots of different cables over the last few years and spent a lot of money doing it but none have done for my system what the Spatia has and I think I am settled at last. – The Spatia gives me all the detail with none of the harshness or synthetic / added sibilance of other cables, they are detailed but without being analytical, detailed and yet still very much all about the music.  You find yourself really getting into whatever you are listening to and I listen to a big variety of music - one of the benefits of the Meridian Sooloos system.

When I first put them in it was the openness of the sound that first grabbed my attention, each element of the music has its own space in the soundstage, whether it be stand out or just a faint layer there as reinforcement – there is now organisation in the tracks where before it was a muddle and I am appreciating the quality work done by the producers in some of the music that I am listening to – I have never done that before.

Music that was once borderline difficult to listen to because of its harshness / messy sound is actually now some of my favourite, I had always thought it was bad producing but it was amazingly the cabling – certain tracks on Adele’s “21” spring to mind.  However the sound with the Spatia is not restricted or toned down in anyway – I thought I may lose some or all of the pazazz / energy of my previous silver plated speaker cable, but I actually feel the overall sound has even more pazazz / energy with the Spatia – which was extremely surprising in a very good way.  Music that is right on the edge such as tracks from Alanis Morissette “Jagged Little Pill” or Muse “The Second Law” are still very much on the edge, but fully cohesive even at higher volumes – everything I have been listening to just seems so much more faithful to how I feel the original recording would have been made, which is what I am after in sound reproduction and really to me what HiFi is all about. 

The impressive performance of Spatia I have found has even greater benefits to home theatre surround sound than it does HiFi.  Using it for my front 3 speakers even Television soundtracks i.e. dolby digital from High Definition channels are simply popping out at me, again everything has its own space and layer and I am hearing clearly the production of the programme / film broken down and played out right in front of me. "Kill Bill" was on BBC HD a couple of weeks ago and I recorded it - with the Spatia the cartoon type soundtrack has extra zing and I can clearly appreciate the work gone in to blending and excellent mixture of real life recorded sound and the studio added in effects - its a very impressive sound track

Unfortunately I have not been able to properly test a Blu Ray soundtrack at this stage however I cannot wait as I know I am going to be in for a real treat

I have had a little think back over my impressions / experience of Spatia speaker cable and it has brought me to a very nice conclusion in that the cable is accurately allowing me to hear my equipment fully reproduce the music or soundtrack, this is the first time I can safely that is the case. I think they are a very honest cable if that verb can be used to describe such a thing.   Then I consider the designer John Cadman’s background and it’s not surprising

These cables are the first I have heard that have allowed music to be presented to me in this way in my home, combined with a set of Cusat 50’s interconnects the balance / sound  is very right.   

I feel they will work well in all systems including lower mid range while still being more than good enough for very high end systems – if your accurately hearing your kit then the overall sound quality is proportional to the equipment quality which is how it should be.

Edited by ellisdj - 06 Dec 2012 at 12:56pm
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2012 at 1:45pm
Another great review!

I trust that John and Graham are suitably proud of their achievements . . . Wink
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2012 at 5:51pm

+1

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2012 at 8:28pm
Thank you on behalf of John. I know one or two members here are also members on audio forums and we'd appreciate more mentions around the internet if at all possible. It all helps us develop more things to make a real difference to the listening experience. We tend to develop cable "things" to help me get closer to hearing differences in the electronic circuits. John was feeling very sorry for me a number of years ago when I was struggling at the start of RoHS trying to get a phono stage to sound right with the first RoHS components. It simply sounded out of phase all the time, and I'd been working on it almost non-stop for two years when John suggested swapping the cables about. The phono stage got finished (the Reflex M), the phasing issue went away and the cables are today called the CuSat50 (directional because it matters). Cables done properly with understanding can really improve our lot.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic