FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Spatia Speaker Cable Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ilgattapardo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilgattapardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spatia Speaker Cable Review
    Posted: 06 Dec 2012 at 12:06pm

I’ve just finished listening to a pair of Spatia cables that I’ve had on loan for a week now and thought that I’d share my thoughts about them.  I’m not sure how much ‘burn in’ time these cables had before reaching me, so this review is on the cables as presented.

First, a few words about their appearance: they are substantial looking, though not stiff so as to present a problem when laying along the contours of a room. They are also ‘directional’, though the suggested amplifier connection end is not immediately apparent and I had to look quite closely to identify the blue band which was just about visible beneath the outer braided skin of the cable. The actual connectors are gold plated plugs which presented no problems fitting to either speakers or amplifier. The pair I auditioned were seven metres in length.

The cables already in my system are some manufactured by Merlin, the particular type I’ve now forgotten, as I have had them for about seven or eight years now. In my system they have always sounded truthful, musical and pleasing. So would the Spatias provide an improvement, a worthwhile upgrade?

I played a variety of music through them, chiefly classical and I was at once struck by their warmth and musicality. It struck me straightaway too that they had also a sonic signature similar to the Reflex Phono Stage that I’d borrowed a few weeks before.

At first I thought that they weren’t retrieving any additional information until I realised that the sense of space around instruments, which was well described by the Merlins, now appeared so much more natural and believable

There was also a focus there that, although good before, was now so much better at allowing that 3D quality to become manifest which I had experienced with the Reflex some weeks before. Here again was that feeling of ‘being there’ and that sense of ‘living presence’ which I had noted before.

In fact the full range of the sound spectrum, as recorded, was allowed to come through most naturally - from the lowest thwacks of a bass drum and deep growling notes of a double bass to the tinkling sounds of a celeste and the decaying sounds of a soft brush drawn over a cymbal.

On voice there was an uncanny presence, the expressive nuances of a song presented in such a life-like way. It seemed also that the sound of all the recordings that I played became much freer and more expansive as though the dynamic range had somehow been extended.

In conclusion I’d like to say that they are without doubt outstanding cables and to paraphrase a famous hi-fi manufacturer, really do bring you that much closer to the original sound.

Edited by ilgattapardo - 06 Dec 2012 at 12:10pm
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2012 at 1:42pm
Nice write up!

Your findings correspond closely to mine with the Spatia. It is undoubtedly a quality product with great performance Clap.
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
ilgattapardo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilgattapardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2012 at 2:22pm
Thanks Bob.They really are something aren't they. I've put my money where my mouth is and now ordered a pair. Steven
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2012 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by ilgattapardo ilgattapardo wrote:

. . .  I've put my money where my mouth is and now ordered a pair. Steven
It would have been rude not to! LOL
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2012 at 5:50pm
Nice one(s) Thumbs Up
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic