FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Elgar, Vaughan Williams and British Composers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by LOINER LOINER wrote:

I am listening to RVW's JOB A MASQUE FOR DANCING at the moment on cd Vernon Handley/LPO on Classics for Pleasure cd I don't know how this version rates with any other version but I enjoy it
Stuart - this was regarded as one of Tod Handley's greatest achievements in the studio - at least until his Bax Symphonies set for Chandos. It easily holds its own against Boult's HMV version.

Disclaimer: I have to register a slight bias here as I used to sing in a couple of choirs directed by Handley in Guildford earlier on his career, and even made onto record with him as well as some Radio 3 and World Service broadcasts . . . Embarrassed
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
LOINER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOINER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 4:40pm
Bob
    I must be honest I only bought it on the spur of the moment because I realised I had very little English classical music in my collection.It's actually the only one I have on cd,which is actually a sorry state of affairs.
Well done for your participation in the various recordings etc that you have taken part in,it is obviously in the blood then
I take it Tod is a nickname then
STUART
SOLO ULTRA LINEAR DIAMOND EDITION
LAUTUS DUAL MONO 1.5M INTERCONNECTS
GRAM AMP 2SE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 5:36pm
That was a good choice then Stuart!

Yes, Tod was a nickname . . .

"My" recording is still available: listen out for the 1st bass who's always on time but rarely in tune Embarrassed.
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 6:53pm
Thanks starting and restarting this thread Bob. I was enjoying that green Bax/Handley set a couple of weeks ago.

Can I throw Britten's cello symphony in the hat as well. I like the ASTM/Mariner recording with Lloyd Webber nearly as much as the classic Rostropovic one.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 7:39pm
I left Britten off my list earlier! The Four Sea Interludes from Peter Grimes are one of my favourites of his . . . 
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
slinger View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 7:45pm
Guys, if we're talking English cello concertos then much like Highlander, there can be only one. Wink
Paul
----------
SYSTEM - Black Boxes, Silver Boxes, Wire, and some rather pretty Wooden boxes.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by slinger slinger wrote:

Guys, if we're talking English cello concertos then much like Highlander, there can be only one. Wink
. . played by Jacqueline du Pre, conducted by Barbirolli by any chance?  Approve
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic