FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Elgar, Vaughan Williams and British Composers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2014 at 9:57am
Received this recording last week - stunning it is & deserves to be much more widely known.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2014 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by RichW RichW wrote:

Received this recording last week - stunning it is & deserves to be much more widely known.

Er, which recording? Did you mean to post a cover image, or am I just being thick (as usual) . . .Confused
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2014 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by Pomponian Pomponian wrote:

If you enjoyed the Moeran violin concerto try the stunning cello concerto and the sinfonietta. Also the Symphony in G minor.

Sorry - this one.Big smile
I'll get me coat..

Edited by RichW - 16 Aug 2014 at 2:22pm
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2014 at 3:09pm
Ah! Thank you. I have the Sinfonietta but not yet heard the Cello Concerto. The obvious comparison will be with Elgar's . . . Ermm
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
John1479 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John1479 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 8:34pm
I'm navigating my way around the music section, so this sort of thread revival may occur now and then.....

Originally posted by morris_minor morris_minor wrote:

I left Britten off my list earlier! The Four Sea Interludes from Peter Grimes are one of my favourites of his . . . 

Benjamin Britten, Third Suite for Cello op.87, I have a love for the darker emotional conversation that only the cello can hold. This is wonderful and is not a distant cousin of Shostakovich string compositions. Not surprising considering their close professional relationship. 

"As composers, they dedicated works to each other as a sign of mutual respect. Shostakovich dedicated his 14th Symphony to Britten, and was the dedicatee of Britten’s “Prodigal Son”. Britten also conducted the first performance of Shostakovich’s 14th Symphony outside Russia in 1970." https://www.rbth.com/arts/2013/10/19/russian_britten_a_bond_of_friendship_through_the_language_of_music_30925.html

I attempted to insert a quote from Bi-Wire who references Butterworth,  but couldn't get the font size to behave and it was MASSIVE. 

I find many vocal pieces challenging, they fail to resonate with my music taste. That goes for Britten as well. But this particular song, puts me on my knees. Unbelievably haunting and powerful. 

"Is My Team Ploughing" Poem by AE Houseman. 
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Is_My_Team_Ploughing

I want to add John Tavener to the list. A masterpiece, "The Protecting Veil." 
Cello by Stephen Isserlis. 
Released 1992 on Virgin Classics 7590522
This release also includes the Benjamin Britten Cello suite mentioned. 

The 2004 Naxos release 8.558152-53 - John Tavener, A Portrait. Makes for a fascinating introduction and insight with a recorded interview on CD2. 
The Björk performance of 'Prayer of the heart' is a bit of a challenge to my ear. Wink

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic