FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Spatia Impressions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 20>
Author
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 3:43am

Well I got my grubby little mitts on a pair of these this morning, postie playing catchup after xmas.

Looked them over having some recollection of them being directional but could not see anything obvious, so plugged them in and played a well known and much loved (and abused) recording to start things off, got the definite impression something was not quite as it should be, not bad mind you, just not quite right.

Looked up the specs and sure enough, they are directional, got out a torch and examined each lead rather carefully and finally found the telltale blue wrap under the flexbraid.

Sure enough, I had both of them a-about.  Turn off the amp, reverse both leads and have another try - much mo' betta.

Suggestion, perhaps put the blue heatshrink on the outside at the appropriate end.

The difference is audible as I found already, would have been good to avoid that, particularly for someone not suspecting such a thing.

Graham is right, they are definitely fast.

It will be interesting to see how I feel about them in a couple of weeks, particularly since I run very sensitive back loaded horn speakers from a low power SET amp with no global NFB.

Borrowed a Lautus too and fitted that to the back of the Reflex.

Report in due course.

Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 9:45am
We decided to make the marker subtle for the first batches of Spatia's. I get a number of people telling me how ashamed they are with me for following the directional cable "crap", and that my reputation with them is now hanging in shreds...

The thing is I never believed cable direction could have any effect... until I tried it in a blindfold test, which was very difficult as I was doing the test on my own!

This was a few years ago. I made two headphone extension cables. One had the cable with print running from source to receiving equipment, and the other had the print in the other direction. I threw both on the lounge floor and turned the lights off. I fumbled about in the dark and found one of the cables and having worked in a darkroom many years ago, I had learned the knack of finding little things like film cartridge end caps by feel, so found it relatively easy to find the headphone amp and headphone jack plug and connect up.

I can't remember the exact sequence but found one cable to have a "muddled" sound and the other much clearer.

When we started doing the CuSat50 the cable had print on the jackets, but the current manufacturer of the stock cable supplies it unprinted. I therefore get the job of finding the right direction by ear. It is quite easy though. I often use Los Endos by Genesis. There is a climax that uses a stereo trick to squeeze the music to centre stage before expanding out again to a full sound stage. If the direction is wrong you simply don't get the effect. Also, in the wrong direction the phasing sounds all wrong as if a loudspeaker is connected red to black and black to red.

With the Lautus it is imperative to get the direction right because the filters have to be put on an exact distance from the source end.

Looking forward to your impressions tg.

Graham
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 10:24am

You have described pretty much what I was hearing, vaguely amorphous and unfocussed, as you say, rather as if the phase was swapped at the speakers.

The Lautus was fine, I saw the arrows and followed the direction.

I did not think I would hear differences in cables myself until I inadvertently connected a directional pair I had the wrong way round and wondered what on earth I had done to the sound.

Opened up a whole new world of tinkering and expense, and joyful discovery at times.

morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 10:55am
Originally posted by tg tg wrote:

Looked up the specs and sure enough, they are directional, got out a torch and examined each lead rather carefully and finally found the telltale blue wrap under the flexbraid.
I had a job finding it too . . Confused
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

We decided to make the marker subtle for the first batches of Spatia's. I get a number of people telling me how ashamed they are with me for following the directional cable "crap", and that my reputation with them is now hanging in shreds...
It seems to me that most, if not all hi-fi cables are now marked as directional - so anyone wanting a true bi-directional cable would have a hard job finding one . . . 
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 10:59am
I like the experimental approach i.e. try the cable the other way round  and listen. It's a relief to find I'm not alone in this!
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 2:53pm
On the Spatia links, I have switched from my usual biwired left and right speakers to single wired with links from HF to LF. Ellisdj pm'ed a bit on this as we have the same speakers and came to similar conclusions about the improvement the Spatia links give over the manufacturer's links, which are pretty good. The Spatia links open up the sound and there's more music to enjoy.

I think John's birthday is a good time to praise his technical expertise on these cables and the other cables. I appreciate the listening tests he, Graham and others must have done to make this work so well. Thank you.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

I think John's birthday is a good time to praise his technical expertise on these cables and the other cables. I appreciate the listening tests he, Graham and others must have done to make this work so well. Thank you.
+1 from me Clap
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 20>
  Share Topic