FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Proprius in my system

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2012 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by morris_minor morris_minor wrote:

Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

Following Bob's thread and my home loan, I have now placed my order for a pair of Proprius amps!

Jon
So resistance (if there was any) was useless, then, Jon? LOL

Yes indeed Bob! Its audio eminence made my order imminent  Thumbs Up  and I'm currently building a simple switching preamp to join the gear up.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2012 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

. . . . . I'm currently building a simple switching preamp to join the gear up.

Nice one.
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2012 at 2:11pm
It's now 2 weeks since the Proprii were powered up - with a CuSat50 going to the pre-amp, and they've been in use virtually every day.

The sound has really settled in now, and my PMC GB1i speakers are singing like they never have before. There's much more grip on low bass - it seems more defined and tuneful (I hesitate to use the much abused term PRaT!). Midrange has opened out and treble - which always a bit "sharp" - is now nicely euphonic. Imaging has also improved considerably over my previous amp, and - a nice touch - low level listening is more satisfying and full-sounding; you don't need to wind the volume up to flesh out the sound. 

Talking of volume, I'm considering turning the amp's volume controls down a touch to give a more sensitivity on the pre-amp volume control. If you consider no volume to be twenty-five-to the hour, with the amp's volume parked at max, a quarter-to on the pre-amp gives loud! I hate to think how loud twenty-five-past would be! I'm struggling to think why anyone would need more than 25 of Proprius watts in a normal sized room Confused

These really are marvellous little boxes - and Graham and the team should be very proud of them . . Clap
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2012 at 5:48pm
This is what great hi-fi is all about, isn't it? Enjoying great music whilst finding tweaks to make it even better.

My switching preamp also has an Alps stereo pot because it saves fine tuning the two amplifier knobs. Plus the alloy box I used looked a little silly with one control knob, two looks better.

Jon
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2012 at 6:05pm
Just to say we have never used anything but Alps potentiometers for our product's volume controls, ever.

But we will be using an alternative pot where people want the remote motorised pot on the preamp. It will be Alps for manual control. Why not an Alps motor pot? Ask Alps Europe! They refuse to supply us, and after all the many £K we've spent with them over many years - and paid every last penny on before time with cast iron cheques!

Just so you know that there's more to hi-fi than meets the eye - and this witness says the politics of British Hi-Fi is evil!
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2012 at 7:30pm
That seems a curious decision from Alps. They supply motorised Blue Alps pots certain DIY collective parts suppliers, even Maplin have their 16mm series pots, so why not motorised pots for GSP? Of course Alps are not the only manufacturers of good audio pots!!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2012 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Just to say we have never used anything but Alps potentiometers for our product's volume controls, ever.

Your use of Alps pots in the Novo and other GSP products I have enjoyed is why I opted for the Alps Blue for my lash-up passive preamp.

Bring on the Aria, please.

Jon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic