FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Upgrades to PSU 1 Power Supply

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
padmapala View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote padmapala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upgrades to PSU 1 Power Supply
    Posted: 02 Nov 2012 at 6:42pm
I currently own the GSP Revelation, the GSP Era V Gold and the GSP Solo and have previously owned the GSP Gram2 SE.
All have had the PSU-1 power upgraded power supply
All are superb but I feel there are a few which could be improved.

The first thing is quite a simple one. It is those stick-on feet which seem to fall off after a while and let the side down somewhat. A more substantial replacement would remedy such a minor though irritating fault.

The next thing is the PSU-1 power supply needs to be upgraded. The power cable connecting it to the phono stage or headphone amp looks particularly cheap and flimsy. I feel it might benefit from some shielded cable.My other gripe is one about the aesthetics. It would be nice if it came in a box perhaps similar to the current GSP Gram 2SE.
I am not sure if this would add much to the manufacturing costs but feel that it would increase the perceived value of equipment that require this power supply.

I look forward to reading your feedback.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2012 at 8:02pm
1] I agree on the feet - we will have to find better.

2] We tried many DC cables but none gave any improvement to the sound stage or sound quality. OK, differences were heard but differences are differences and none of them improved on sound stage or sound quality (tonality). Shielding here doesn't make any difference as I've explained before but as somebody called me ignorant in that post I'll not be linking to my response (it's on here somewhere). Some people use ferrites on the DC cable but without knowing the effective length of the imagined interfering frequency waveforms anti-nodes I don't see how they can really claim any improvement unless by chance it was placed in the right place. However, you will find lots of people using unshielded interconnects who also strongly disagree with me when I say the signal should be shielded. It's a mixed up world isn't it? My response tends to go like this: "If eye candy is needed then the sound is obviously no good", and if that were to be the case, then our direct sales qualify for a refund on return of the equipment within 28 days. Dealers may also offer a satisfaction guarantee, but is it our product/s causing you the SQ problem?

3] It costs around £10,000.00 to get a power supply approved to IEC60950, which the PSU1 is approved to and it cost me £10,000.00 working with these people (mains safety approval - it's in the instructions). A metal box would have to be very large to enable it to comply with double-insulation/class 2. If it were small it would have to comply with class 1, and then we wouldn't be able to sell it to people who only have 2 pin power points. The PSU1 is not meant to be seen. If you place it on a metal hi-fi unit it will induce vibrations into the metal (like all transformers do), which will in-turn induce vibrations into a pick-up cartridge. Our advice is to site it on the floor, and then it isn't seen...

Graham
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
padmapala View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote padmapala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2012 at 8:21pm
Thanks for your prompt reply Graham.
It was most helpful.
Padmapala
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic