FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Proprius

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 11:23am
The Proprius reached 260 hours and I have taken a non-speaker use for these amps. Specifically driving orthodynamic cans. I value musicality, soundstage and smoothness amongst the most important qualities in music reproduction. In other words I have to be able to listen for hours on end without feeling "ear fatigue". Well, the Proprius delivers and then some. For those who have not used orthodynamic cans they can exhibit a bit of treble energy that can make for a very un-involving listening experience, not so with the Proprius.
Miguel
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 3:13pm
Thank you Miguel for discovering another UniqueSellingPoint for the Proprius.

Graham
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 9:51pm
My own pair of Proprius amps is due to arrive this week, woo woo!

As previously advised I've built a passive stereo preamp with 4 phono inputs switching to unbalanced XLR out, via an Alps Blue stereo pot. It's burning in now and still a little trebly. It's hardly a GSP Aria preamp but will do the job for now.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2012 at 8:55pm
And they sound great.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
shashirao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shashirao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2023 at 7:12pm
I have now crossed the 50 hour playback mark with my Proprius mono amps. I have connected my Esoteric DV50 CD player as source and the KEF LS50 bookshelves as speakers

The amps have already disappeared into the background - and so have the KEFs. Its just music and sounds wafting around the room with no equipment drawing attention to itself. I might as well store the Proprius inside the sideboard.

The sound is absolutely as it should be - not overtly digital/loud, the acoustic instruments have the warmth and depth. There is ambience - as in it feels like sitting in a recording room/small performance hall. The volume scales up and down smoothly across all the equipment - no jarring or harsh sounds - except loudness. For a change, I am turning the volume lower since it does not take much to fill up the room.

So I guess my concerns of obtaining enough volume from Proprius are at rest. Of course I would experiment with a floorstanding speaker in the future - especially the Magnepan LRS speakers.

I have not yet played anything analogue - reel tape player and vinyl is next on cards.

And after waiting, reading, reviewing and comparing, I have pulled the trigger on the Majestic. I cannot wait for the Majestic to drive the volume on the Proprius. I have also ordered all those cables including Libran, Spatial, Lataus USB...which means more comparison and satisfaction on the cards.

The only downside, given the size/shape and high gloss of the KEF speakers, I will not be installing the Proprius on the speakers. But the reduction in cable clutter is totally amazing. I will be able to get away with just speakers on top of the entertainment center...nothing to see here.

Goes back to my original nit with Graham - he needs to make his equipment huge and flashy with those big truck grills, dazzling LED lights, a smoke generator, maybe a bubble maker, some additional weight of copper wound transformers, dials and lots of labels of audio standards. That stuff sells!!

Meanwhile I am happy with my selection of solid state silver boxes that give me the perfect acoustic instrument playback...do not miss any tubes and bells and whistles. My product collection now includes: the Revelation C, Accession MM, Accession MC, Proprius, Majestic (soon), Enigma, Lataus, Cusat, Spatial,
Mikeh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2023 at 9:26pm
Hi Shashi, GS equipment should come with a health warning, it's adictive!  The Majestic compliments Proprius and Accession to make a wonderful music reproduction.  Happy listening.
Mike
Mike

Technics sl1210g with Victor U-2
Accession MM, Majestic + Proprius, Solo ULDE
Cambridge Audio CXC CD player
Lindemann Limetree Bridge streamer
Harbeth P3ESR XD paired with 2x REL t5x
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2023 at 10:03pm
Thank you for your positive appraisal. I will not be able to add suggested "whistles and bells" since I have recently retired, and now it's up to John C as to which direction things go.

The Proprius paved the way to a better understanding of how a.c.-coupled power amplifiers work best - at least to my understanding. As is usual, the technical subtleties are not easily described. I intend to continue sharing the knowledge on the "7eventies indulgence."
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic