FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Proprius

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Proprius
    Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 9:58pm
First impressions - an outstanding amplifier
The two Proprius amps came on loan with a pair of the new Lautus cables (phono to XLR). I connected mine up to power asap and had my tea (dinner down south) then connected my GX100's and my DAC.

I started with a HD violin concerto and the violin sounded real, so did the orchestral parts and the hall acoustic. Onto pop and rock and the soundstage is remarkable. Voices and instruments are all clearly audible, so are the reverbs and other effects, and the sound is room filling. There are sounds around me and the fullness of the sound is remarkable, plenty of body - deep and fast bass.

After my GSP phono and headamps, and the Dublin show review I was expecting something special. Proprius is outstanding.

I will be sending the Proprius amps and cables onto the next person in a fortnight (PM next week on the arrangements) and I will be missing them.

Edited by Fatmangolf - 21 Oct 2012 at 4:54pm
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 10:48pm
This all sounds very satisfying Jon! What amplification were you comparing the Proprius to? And were you using the Lautus cables?
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 7:29am
Thanks Bob. It was intended as a first impression for fellow members based on a quick setup. I can write a more detailed review later.
My current amp is an [my edit] which I like but I didn't do a direct AB comparison because there are a number of factors involved. I was using a pair of homemade phono cables with my amp, which includes a preamp with input switching and a stepped volume control before the actual amplifier stages, whereas I was connecting the DAC straight into the Proprius with new Lautus phono to XLR cables. There is a preamp output from my amp and I may try feeding the Proprius from that with a loan pair of Lautus phono to phono cables if there's time, although I recognise that there would 2 sets of cables involved compared to one with the direct route.
The overall impression is that Graham and co. are right to be proud of the high sound and build quality of the new GSP Proprius amplifier.

Jon

Edited by Fatmangolf - 23 Oct 2012 at 10:37pm
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 8:34am
I didn't mean to pressure you Jon! We've been waiting for this for quite a time and now the Proprius is out in the wild, I, for one, am keen for details  Tongue .

That it should have high sound quality is of course no surprise at all, but it's good to know the manner in which it's delivered . . .

Another question - how sensitive (or otherwise) are your speakers?

Thanks.
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 12:39pm
No worries Bob, I'd be just as eager and I am in hi-fi heaven at the moment.
Sensitivity is 88dB. Monitor Audio GX100's (6 1/5 inch mid/woofer and ribbon tweeter) on mass loaded Partington stands. With the volume controls past 12 o'clock it is very loud in my living room and I'm listening at about 10 o'clock on the volume now.

Jon
Jon

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 4:20pm
Thanks Jon . . . Plenty of welly on offer then Smile.
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2012 at 2:23pm
Rather than start a new thread I figure I would add my observations here. I received the package yesterday October 19th, 2012 and set the units up this morning including the Lautus cables. For a source I am using a Logitech Touch and for speakers (burn in) a pair of vintage Minimus 7W from Radio Shack. The Minimus 7W can be picked up from eBay at about $65 USD and IMO they sound very good for their small size.

BTW, I use an small near field speakers since my listening in the apartment (to avoid conflict with she who must be obeyed) is limited to headphones or using the computer as a source in the bedroom. In a couple of weeks I will attempt to move the Prorius to the living room and drive a pair of DCM Time Windows 1A.

The Proprius has been running for about one and a half hours, I have set their volume to max and I am using the variable output of the Logitech Touch to control the volume. At this moment I am wirelessly transmitting the music from the iMac to the Touch and for a DAC I am using the Touch's internal one.

The Proprius and it power supply run cool, heck the Logitech Touch runs much warmer. Currently listening to Ella Fitzgerald and Billy Holiday and very nice sound is coming through the Minimus 7W. I should mention the fit and finish is top notch and very impressed by the Lautus termination. If I was to nit pick it would be that I wish the Lautus were a bit more flexible.

Graham, I do most of my listening via headphones and would appreciate your feedback on using the Proprius to drive:

1. Stax cans via the Stax Energizer boxes like the SRD7.
2. AKG K1000 ear-speakers which are 120 ohm.
3. Orthodynamic Headphones like the Head Direct HE6 or HE500.

In order to drive items 2 and 3 I have a pigtail that goes from RCA's to a 4-Pin balance plug.

I leave you for now with a picture to put it all in perspective. Thanks Graham for this great opportunity.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/w-AGMqy9iJ_u_3xBX2lmBjbw2ArsI7NycGvfkNAQPCo?feat=directlink
Miguel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic