FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

HD greedsters - it ain't rock'n'roll old chum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 1:14pm
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 1:39pm
I like that the HD Vinyl process uses CAD, and onto a much more durable material than traditionally used.
10,000 pressing out of a stamper with no degradation is very impressive, and a complete lack of toxic chemical process in stamper production is very desirable.

Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 1:40pm
Reading about the "traditional stamper" you'd think the sound quality would be dreadful. I can assure you my old records didn't have a digital master. They must therefore sound rubbish by comparison with the digitised version. And what about all the de-essing?

What I don't "get" is if digital is so wonderful, then why go to all the trouble to make "perfect" vinyl records? The reproduction technology is still as backward as the traditional stamper, isn't it?
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 2:03pm
Thanks All.
I do don't think we will be seeing it anytime soon.
I'm happy with the sound I'm getting from my "old way" records. AT the moment.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
discrete badger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discrete badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 2:09pm
Digital can still be wonderful at the same time as using new ideas to try to improve a legacy playback technology that a lot of people very much enjoy listening to. I don't see a conflict here; both have their place.

Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 2:09pm
I have some pretty spectacular sounding LPs made using the traditional process too, but using CAD driven lathes for making the pressing plates makes sense, for consistency's sake if nothing else.

I have a number of recent albums that were recorded, mixed and mastered digitally, and eventually made it to vinyl release, and they bring something of their own to the table.
There is a certain je ne sais quoi they have from vinyl playback.

Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 4:47pm
OK, I could understand digitally mastered vinyl before we had the equipment to reproduce digital files satisfactorily at home.

But for the last 15 years or so, we've had the ability to play digitally mastered music, without the need for all these inter-stage processes, and obtain great results - especially with the more "human" digital and analogue filters.

So why these days make vinyl records at all, unless the only master available is analogue? (I can accept that). But to add all the extra hurdles makes absolutely no sense - and, yes, I know I earn a living selling phono stages, but come on!

Oh, and don't be taken in by "non-toxic" and "eco-friendly" because you'll show your ignorance. How do you think vinyl is made? It is made using gas!!! Its manufacturing process liberates CO2 to the atmosphere - and other chemicals of which some are toxic (although, being a gardener, I like CO2 because it makes my veggies grow).

I treasure my vinyl, but since the availability of well-made digital recordings (yes, even 16 bit), and the electronics which can reproduce them really well, then my only "eco-crime" is the same as everybody's - COAL!

(I guess ex of the mining industry engineers have to be seen as cloth cap wearers and belittled, or we could make others believe in the laws of thermodynamics - their god forbid!)

Edited by Graham Slee - 20 Nov 2021 at 5:29pm
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
  Share Topic