New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Another Londoner who's getting back into the swing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Another Londoner who's getting back into the swing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
roman-r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roman-r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another Londoner who's getting back into the swing
    Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 4:47pm
Hi guys

I'm a big lover of headphone listening, I've Grado RS1, Shure e5c and Etymotic HF2.

Must admit the Shures get the most usage as I plug them into my iPhone and listen to music for a couple of hours in bed....trying to nod off. Grado RS1s are too lively for that usage.

For more maximium listening pleasure I dig into my SACD and DVDa format. I've a Lexicon RT20 and ran it into a Solo 2007 edition. Decided to sell the Solo as I didn't feel I was using it enough.....big mistake  Cry I then decided to try a Little Dot but although a tad of improvement when connected to iphone it can't touch me old Solo Sleepy

So I wanted to know what version solo serial number 0110-007 is.  I believe it's either an SRG or 2007 edition and could be my next step into GS glory.....

Hope you can help.

Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 2:12am
Extremely early 2008 (first week in fact) so it's going to be a 2007 unless it has a green LED which makes it a SRGI but I'd doubt that.

Graham
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 10:05am
It has been 5 years since the Green SRG! How fast time flies.
Miguel
roman-r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roman-r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 5:50pm
I lost out on that Solo but came across a silver knobbed Novo which is meant to be fairly recent, serial  0150-141 - would be vey kind of you if you could confirm approx manufacturing date.

Also, as this is a green version do I take it that it isn't meant to be left on 24/7 - I'm assuming the 400 hours running in time is with music playing through it AND into headphones ?

Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 7:23pm
January this year. Yes, best left on. Yes, normal use.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
roman-r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roman-r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 10:53pm
OK leaving it on it is then but actually a little suprised as I did think the point of green was it didn't matter or at least it was designed to be kept off.

Looking forward to hearing it's progression.

Thanks for clearing this up.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 10:31am
The point of the green is that unlike a conventional mains frequency transformer based power supply, it consumes very little energy of itself.... when left on.

Let me expand on that.

To qualify as an energy efficient power supply, the green has to consume 0.5 watts or less to support its own internal workings. Conversely, a conventional power supply consumes around 10 watts to support its internal workings.

Now, if switched off, ALL energy efficient power supplies when switched on again, have inrush currents that are excessive. Whys that? They work by switching mains energy into an inductor, and that inductor then "flies back" to dump its energy into a storage capacitor and hence to the item being powered.

All this happens at MHz frequencies, so once it gets up there it hardly consumes a thing to keep going simply because it doesn't need any magnetizing current like a conventional mains transformer.

BUT, on its way up (its start up) it is basically short circuiting the mains supply. OK, it's only a matter of a split second, but initially it draws 90 Amps! That's 22kWH... 22 units of electricity!

To understand it fully you'd need to know calculus but from rest to proper working condition an energy efficient power supply is greedy for power. So, by switching it off then on again you have wasted power rather than saving it. There is a point that could be worked out, but I'm not going there, where switching it off then on again it consumes more energy than a conventional power supply.

Just like the big office printer we have in the office here is so energy efficient that the lights dim every time we press the print key, the politicians should learn the lyric "And the changes of no consequence will pick up the reigns from nowhere"Angry

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic