FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Built a power supply for my Squeezebox Touch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Built a power supply for my Squeezebox Touch
    Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 8:37pm
Thanks to WH Smith I saw a favourable review of a replacement power supply for the Squeezebox Touch in a Hifi magazine. Interestingly it used two boxes with two stages of regulation... an approach which I have seen (and heard!) used very well in some excellent British hifi equipment.
Anyway I decided to DIY something using a 9 volt SMPS unit and adding a small metal box with a low noise 5 volt regulator and a load of Panasonic FC electrolytics. It gave a surprising improvement in the stereo image and HF detail when playing CD rips and high bit rate FLACs.

I'm currently using the box as a heatsink, breadboarded on the outside so I could check the temperature rise (from the regulator's 4 volt drop x 2-3 amps) was reasonable. It's going inside the box at the weekend. If anyone's interested in the details please let me know and I will take some pictures.

Edited by Fatmangolf - 08 Mar 2012 at 8:39pm
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2012 at 1:32am
I went with two 5 aH 12 volt SLA batteries via a regulator to 5 volts. It was made by Vinnie of Red Wine Audio. Love the sound of the Touch.
Miguel
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2012 at 12:24am
Thanks Miguel, that sounds like a very good zero noise option. The Touch is really handy. Simple touchscreen GUI and it connects easily to a DAC or direct into an analogue input.

How do you access the music files please?

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2012 at 6:12pm
I use wi-fi to connect to the hard drive on the iMac. However I have also used a 32 Gb SD card on various occasions. There is also the option on connecting a HD to the Touch but I have not done so yet.
Miguel
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2012 at 7:53pm
Thansk Miguel. I'm using my domestic 100 mbps network to link it to my PC running the Squeezebox server. I stick or SD card with FLAC was very good. I tried the HD option but  it took ages to scan and I realised I missed the imported playlists from ITunes!
And I rebuilt the PSU inside a small aluminium box this morning and ran it for some hours to check the temperatures. It was a squeeze and fiddly to fit. Warm but not hot, sounds better than the stock 5 volt PSU in my opinion.

Edited by Fatmangolf - 10 Mar 2012 at 7:56pm
Jon

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 9:41pm
Definite improvement in clarity and stereo image. A few Panasonic FC's and a commercially available 7905 replacement (PM if you want the name) in a metal box (PiL anyone?) is well worth the DIY effort.
Jon

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2012 at 10:32pm
Don't know if anyone else has seen Hifi Choice's pages on fine tuning the Squeezebox Touch. It made me chuckle as they must have been doing the same stuff (better PSU, EDO and STTB) at the same time I was and probably using the same online resources.
To be fair it is a helpful guide and it was their streamer comparison a few months back that inspired my Touch purchase.

Jon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic