FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Built a power supply for my Squeezebox Touch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
msphil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msphil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2014 at 4:42pm
Nice one Jon, I have my Squeezebox Touch linked to the trial Majestic DAC via a CuSat50 1.5 m coaxial cable. The Majestic is then linked to a Solo UL DE by two CuSat50 0.6 m RCA cables which feed a pair of Grado PS 1000 headphones. The sound is absolutely fantastic! The only thing I'm missing, in order to complete the system, is a good graduated linear power supply for the Squeezebox Touch. Ahhh! Hi-fi heaven!
'You are, through your soul not your body, a human being.'
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2014 at 7:47pm
Digital cables do make a difference to the music in my experience.

I agree a PSU upgrade will improve your sound Phil. I decided on a cost effective two-box approach with a decent SMPS putting 12 volts into a DIY box, which has a low noise regulator with a large reservoir of low impedance capacitors and bypass caps. Definite improvement on the stock PSU that makes the music clearer and detailed not harsh.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
msphil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msphil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2014 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

Digital cables do make a difference to the music in my experience.

I agree a PSU upgrade will improve your sound Phil. I decided on a cost effective two-box approach with a decent SMPS putting 12 volts into a DIY box, which has a low noise regulator with a large reservoir of low impedance capacitors and bypass caps. Definite improvement on the stock PSU that makes the music clearer and detailed not harsh.

I'm jealous of your ability to make your own PSU. I have no expertise in electronics at all. I will have to buy one or get someone to make one up for me. I have seen a Paul Haynes PSU available secondhand on an auction site but I'm not sure how much a secondhand one is worth. Perhaps I can persuade Graham or John to knock one up for me.
fixedwheel View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixedwheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2014 at 6:01pm
Would anyone reckon that a DIY step down be a viable product for a DAK kit? Like the Genera.

I can see the obvious liability issues for a DIY mains based PSUs, but wonder about something that could be fed with a 12v or 24v wall wart, and then do a far better job.

Adjustability would be great for flexibility.

John
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2015 at 6:17pm
In response to a good question on how I did it, I found the notebook from 2012. Lucky as I had forgotten some details...

The Touch PSU says 5V 3A but I doubted 15 watts was going into the Touch as it doesn't run that hot. I measured the current draw of my Touch with and ammeter and it drew between 370 and 380mA when running, less when the display was off whilst playing tracks. Even with the screen brightness on full and the analogue and digital output running it peaked at just over 500mA. So I had planned to use a LM7805 fixed 5 volt regulator (max steady current 750mA and peak 2A) fed from a linear supply of 9 or 10 volts dc.

Then I remembered I had a [supplier name omitted by me] 5 volt low noise regulator inside a CA 840C and so swapped back for the stock 7805 and used that low noise regulator in my Touch PSU. I fitted this regulator into a small (120mm long, 50mm wide, 20mm deep) black aluminium case from Maplin, bolting it to the case panel and using heatsink compound. Inside I added some 2,200uF 25V Panasonic FC caps I had in my parts box and ran the output to a 5.5mm plug into the Touch. I bought a Maplin SMPS supply and set it on 9 volts dc and this feeds the 5 volt regulator.

My quick heat dissipation calculation suggested 4 degrees per watt or better to keep the regulator temperature down and I hoped the small box would do this. I stress tested it with a 8 ohm 10 watt load resistor (drawing double the current of my Touch) and it was quite warm not too hot to touch. So I fitted the new PSU to the Touch to find the case temperature was fine (27-28 degrees) and it sounded very good. That was in 2012 and it has run fine since then.

In hindsight an LM7805 would have done the job just as well.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
msphil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msphil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2015 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

In response to a good question on how I did it, I found the notebook from 2012. Lucky as I had forgotten some details...

The Touch PSU says 5V 3A but I doubted 15 watts was going into the Touch as it doesn't run that hot. I measured the current draw of my Touch with and ammeter and it drew between 370 and 380mA when running, less when the display was off whilst playing tracks. Even with the screen brightness on full and the analogue and digital output running it peaked at just over 500mA. So I had planned to use a LM7805 fixed 5 volt regulator (max steady current 750mA and peak 2A) fed from a linear supply of 9 or 10 volts dc.

Then I remembered I had a [supplier name omitted by me] 5 volt low noise regulator inside a CA 840C and so swapped back for the stock 7805 and used that low noise regulator in my Touch PSU. I fitted this regulator into a small (120mm long, 50mm wide, 20mm deep) black aluminium case from Maplin, bolting it to the case panel and using heatsink compound. Inside I added some 2,200uF 25V Panasonic FC caps I had in my parts box and ran the output to a 5.5mm plug into the Touch. I bought a Maplin SMPS supply and set it on 9 volts dc and this feeds the 5 volt regulator.

My quick heat dissipation calculation suggested 4 degrees per watt or better to keep the regulator temperature down and I hoped the small box would do this. I stress tested it with a 8 ohm 10 watt load resistor (drawing double the current of my Touch) and it was quite warm not too hot to touch. So I fitted the new PSU to the Touch to find the case temperature was fine (27-28 degrees) and it sounded very good. That was in 2012 and it has run fine since then.

In hindsight an LM7805 would have done the job just as well.

Thanks for bringing this up again Jon. This is still the one component I need to make my system even better (if that's possible!). I'm afraid that I haven't been on the site much just lately. I've had a sudden recent spate of illness amongst my carers (not all at once) which has forced three of them to resign and have acquired 2 more. In addition to that we have been having the house decorated from top to bottom. Talk about disruption! I've only just got my hi-fi back. Even so, I must get new squeezebox touch power supply soon.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2015 at 6:50pm
It's good to hear from you Phil. I posted this after someone else asked about my Touch PSU. Based on my experience replacing the original Logitech PSU I think you will hear an improvement although I found subsequently that plugging my Touch into the Majestic DAC improved the sound a lot.

Jon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic