FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Voyager without Apple

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
kt66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kt66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Voyager without Apple
    Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 1:21pm
Are there any Voyager users out there who are not using them with Apple Mac products?

I am really interested in seeing how non Apple Voyager customers use theirs

Do you just plug your mobile/MP3 players headphone output into the Voyager?

I find most headphones (eg SR60) don't need the additional grunt the Voyager adds. My Denon AD-H2000s and HD600s need it.

But would really like advice on best way to use it, I am quite good with computers but I can't work out how to get a Line out from my Nokia N8 or Sony Vaio WIn7 laptop?

I've asked Nokia and they are f&^%%$$ng useless, Sony next time for me!

lets here how you use your Voyager!

thanks

discrete badger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discrete badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 8:15pm
Me! I don't use my Voyager with any Apple products - don't want to be locked into iTunes.

Its normal on-the-move duty is to amplify the line out of the iBasso D10, which is a box similarly sized containing an excellent implementation of the Wolfson DAC and also a headphone amp which cannot compete with the Voyager.

The source for the iBasso is either my VAIO laptop over USB or the iRiver H140 portable jukebox over SPDIF optical. Sometimes I drive the Voyager directly from the laptop (headphone out) or iRiver (line out) directly or even mobile phone (headphone out) directly. All with excellent results - the point is that the Voyager is giving an easy load for your input device to drive.

With good headphones, the thing that makes the most difference to the sound is the Voyager rather than the DAC, so I'd suggest you'll get good results just by using the headphone out on your laptop. Best to set the laptop volume levels 100% so that it's high above the noise floor.
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 11:24am
I use an Apple Mac. Do you have a DAC? If yes you can take the digital signal from the Mac (USB or Optical) and feed your DAC. Then the analog out of your DAC would feed your Vogager with an RCA to 1/8" Mini plug.

If you do not have a DAC then the optical out in a Mac doubles as an analog out. Using this method you would need a 1/8" Mini to 1/8" Mini stereo analog to feed the Voyager.

Regardless of the method keep the digital volume at max in the Mac and use the Voyager's analog volume pot to raise/lower the volume.
Miguel
oldagetraveller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldagetraveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 12:34pm
When I had a Voyager it was used in conjunction with a Cowan S9.
I just plugged the S9 into the Voyager input and headphones to the output.
I would never consider any style over substance i something. Plus I prefer not to be a slave to i tunes!
Peter

P T- LPT/RB300/G1042, Pink Triangle Tarantella/Nima/Ortofon 2M Black, SL1210II, Naim CD5, NAC112, NAP150, Flatcap2, Proac SC1, GS SoloUL,GS Accession , Senn HD250 & HD540.
kt66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kt66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 1:19pm
thanks , no I don't have a MAC and never will, but starting to think about a portable DAC.

when you plug your mobile/MP3/I-Plod player into the voyager, do you set its volume to maximum and then let the Voyager manage the volume? or something else?

thanks
discrete badger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discrete badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 3:33pm
Yes exactly. Volume to max on the source device and use the voyager knob to control the volume. Although many DACs (like mine) have a line out so in that case there is actually no volume adjustment on the DAC.
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2012 at 12:09am
I should point out that some DAP's have a line out (iRiver H120/H140, HiFiMAN HM801/602/601, etc) and some like the iPods or iPhones can be converted to a line out via a DOCK. Using a line out to feed an external amp is better because you bypass the internal amp in the DAP.
Miguel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic