FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Voyager without Apple

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
kt66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kt66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2012 at 9:15am
thanks for the replies,

really annoying that my Nokia N8 doesn't do line out, and when I rang and asked them I think I blew their minds.

so started looking at the Cowon S9 last night.

what is the preffered DAP here (other than Apple)

HIFI manufacturers are really missing a market here.

mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2012 at 11:18am
How much do you want to spend on a DAP? I am partial to the old iRiver H120 or H140. These can be modified to accept 80 Gb or 120 GB hard drives respectively or up to 64/128 Gb CF cards at a much higher cost.

I also like the HiFiMAN HM801/602 but the UI is not the best although RockBox is working on it. These use 32 Gb Class IV SD cards.
Miguel
kt66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kt66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2012 at 11:23am
I suppose budget would be about £200

but what price do you put on happiness?!

Is there anyone who makes a DAP , that has a line out, over 32gig, and doesn't have extras like radio , dab etc?
hotmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2012 at 1:37pm
The iRiver H140 (40GB) can be had for around £80 - £100 on eBay. Whilst it does have an inbuilt FM radio, there is no obligation to use it Wink.

I bought one last year because I can use it to store all my music in OGG format, and because it has an optical line out which I can feed into my Cambridge DacMagic, which connects to my Solo UL/Senn HD250 LII/Senn 650s.

However the inbuilt DAC & amp on the IRiver is very good as it is, and it sounds excellent with my Koss Porta-Pros with no additional amping, although I must admit I have been toying lately with the possibility of getting a Voyager so I could use it direct with the HD250s instead.

On the move, I currently tend use my Creative Zen 30GB with the Porta-Pros, as it is smaller, lighter and has a rather more user-friendly interface.

mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 11:27am
I bought an used iRiver H120 and changed the 20 Gb to 80 Gb and replace the battery with a higher capacity one. Love the sound but do not use it, if you were in the USA I would offer to you for a price of course. ;)
Miguel
discrete badger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discrete badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 5:24pm
I agree with hotmog - the H1x0's internal headamp doesn't have enough juice for HD250's; it has only a 5v battery after all. Grado SR60/80 aren't bad though. With ear canal phones the noise floor is clearly audible.

However, add a Voyager and these weaknesses vanish.
kt66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kt66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 4:59pm
Today I got an offer from Audio Affair and took a chance and got an

Audioengine D1 Premium 24-bit DAC, my Nokia does have a USB digital out (but I don't think they know that themselves.

I'm going to avoid the DAP route, the good ones seem very overpriced to me.

So my sounds at work or on the train will now be
Nokia N8 usb to Audioengine DAC D1 into Voyager into AT ES55 closed back 'phones.

all i need now is a nice case to put the Voyager in.

Graham you are missing a trick here, if the Voyager is portable it should be put in some sort of protective carrier.

After all this I go home and look at my LP12 and realise how beautifully simple it is to get a good sound compared to all these shennanigans!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic