FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Voyager Magic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
jamescodway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamescodway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Voyager Magic
    Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 9:08pm
Dear all,

I just felt compelled to share a small piece of magic conjured out of an ipod classic, a well run-in voyager running on a duracell battery, a SendStation ipod connector to 3.5mm socket and the missing link... a DIY cable to join it all up! I have no measuring equipment but I know this setup sounded fantastic Big smile today. Attached to my well run in HD25-1s, with HD250 cable... punch, balance, lovely cymbal decay, vocals more present than normal, no harshness... lovely Cool

The cable ingredients cost about £8 plus about an hour's labour (I'm still learning!) to put it together. If I had to do it again, I would make the cable a little shorter and make the connection more 'direct'.

Thank you Mr S and our friends at Maplins (they were actually quite helpful). Some improvisation was required with insulating tape as the connectors are not really designed to take such a thick cable but it is pretty robust.

Best

James

---

http://www.maplin.co.uk/metal-3.5mm-stereo-plug-1187
http://www.maplin.co.uk/3.5mm-right-angled-stereo-plug-223989
http://www.maplin.co.uk/van-damme-tour-grade-classic-xke-microphone-cable-blue-536257

Voyager - HD25
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 10:29pm
Looks very compact James - Thumbs Up
Jog3004 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jog3004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 8:33am
Hi James, well impressed, was tempted to try making a wire myself, but despite my wealth of qualification including two degrees with honours & a masters, my DIY skills just about cover changing a light bulb. I would recommend that you go in business with a well known cable company, think lake district, & you could then charge 100x it's cost. regards James
James
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 9:18pm
Neat work James!
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
kt66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kt66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 10:50am
James, I avoid Apple like the plague, so don't really know about their connections.

Can you explain what the box on the top of the I-Pod does?
are you listening to the analogue headphone output of the Apple?

or have you created an analogue line output?
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 11:23am
Go to eBay and you will find smaller line out docks for iPods. Make sure the unit you buy is made to work with the generation of iPod that you own. For example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FiiO-L9-L-Shaped-Line-Out-Dock-LOD-Cable-iPod-and-iPhone-NEW-FREE-SHIPPING-/260946374788?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc19db084#ht_2127wt_1015
Miguel
Jog3004 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jog3004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 3:41pm
Hi, I bought a fiio line out dock from eBay at about £5.99 & I am very impressed by it. I tried a friends LOD that cost him £30 & frankly could not hear any difference.
James
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic