FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Test Records

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Chivas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chivas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2009 at 11:11pm
What happened to Dark side of the moon - Money and Time, once upon a time the reference for testing audiophile gear?

I have a few albums that stretch to the extremes on both top and bottom end to test that if needed, but since the true test of quality gear for me is the life like reproduction (high fidelity) of a performance, I like taking live recordings like Jazz at the Pawnshop and close my eyes. If I can imagine that I'm actually sitting in the room and can "see" the artists performing, I'm happy. This is the acid test for me, since I don't have the ear to hear the nth degree of detail and differences and to be honest I think most of it is perception
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2009 at 1:26am
Originally posted by Chivas Chivas wrote:

What happened to Dark side of the moon - Money and Time, once upon a time the reference for testing audiophile gear?

It's probably because we wore the record out listening to it so much - it was 35 years ago.

(you do mean vinyl don't you?)

I still have mine but it has more clicks and pops on the begining of Time than tick-tocks!
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Chivas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chivas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2009 at 7:03am
Yip, I do mean vinyl. Is it the clocks or clicks and pops keeping you awake this time of the morning Graham...?
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2009 at 10:03am

Spill the beans Chivas, you are really enjoying the vinyl experience aren't you Wink

When are you going to post the review ?

BTW an album I have used a fair bit since Ivan M mentioned it here some time back is The Pogues "Rum, Sodomy & the Lash", a rollicking good listen at any time and a real variety of vocal and instrumental things to listen to/for, tin whistle, pipes etc.  Great variation in emotional inflection from track to track - I already had it on CD and after Ivans recommendation I obtained a good condition vinyl copy.

Just picked up the re-issue of Aretha Franklins album "I never loved a man" on the 4 men with beards label - that is a system workout.

Hopefully the G man is up poring over a hot simulator proggie whilst designing more audio delights for the importunate and addicted.

Then again, he might be having some well earned time-out and more power to him if he is.

Edited by tg - 26 Feb 2017 at 10:58pm
Tony G
Chivas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chivas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 10:39pm

Recently at the NAS I found myself getting a little over saturated with listening to system after system, probably due to arriving late and trying to fit as much in as possible in a short period of time, so I must have appeared more like someone playing musical chairs than an appreciative listener. Like I said, after system 10 you start becoming "numb", but what did intrigue me was the choice of music the exhibitors chose to demo their systems with. One record I came across, which I subsequently bought was the Stockfisch label's "Vinyl Collection". They employ direct metal master cutting, whatever that means, but although it's not 100% my type of music (not all the songs in any case), the recording does impress. It is hugely detailed and transparent and most songs also span the whole frequency range, which I think makes this quite a good test record. Some listeners may find the presentation a little upfront, by I do enjoy a bit of detail and clarity every now and then, without it being too much in my face or bright.

Worth a try me thinks. Only problem is you will probably have to order directly from them in Germany, around €30, but the service was quite good and postage reasonable.

There is one song though by Christian Willisohn called "Caruso" that seems to distort near the end when Christian becomes quite emotional during this melodramatic song. I'm still trying to figure out whether it is the recording (e.g mic), my cartridge (although it distorts on both DL-110 and Goldring 1042), my electronics or speakers (also distorts on HD650 via Solo).

Will be interesting to hear of anyone else has had experience with this album/song.

Cheers
Chivas
Gekados View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gekados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 5:39pm
This is a great thread. Love getting tips about new music.
Here are a few recommendations for test material, from my collection.

Rob Wasserman - Duets, Ballad of a runaway horse with Jennifer Warnes.
- Try and follow the bassline and make sure the choir is positioned nicely behind Jennifer.
- Also see Jennifer Warnes - Famous Blue Raincoat, exellent for evaluating voices.

Korn - Issues.
Just brutal and very extended basslines. So much happening and exellent production with a very good frequency range (no compression). Try playing it at low volume, and enjoy the dynamics.

Prince - Graffiti Bridge.
- Instant test record here. The dynamics are a blessing. If your gear responds to the enormous soundstage and the genius of Mr. Symbol, then you're well off with good recordings.

Iron Maiden - Killers.
- My old first edition press, still spins when testing gear. Not a high budget production - but good 'air' and the rather simple rythms will keep your toes tapping if done right.

Massive Attack - Mezzazine (man next door track).
- If you can seperate the basslines in the rather muddy composition, then you're good.

Nirvana - Bleach/nevermind/In Utero/Unplugged.
- Because I just always enjoy Nirvana. Unplugged is a good live recording.

Deep Purple - Made in Japan.
- Say no more.

And last but not least :
Pro-Pain - The Truth Hurts (1994), original or remaster.
- Both are in reality crap productions, but the energy/rage/frustration in the music is just flawless. (read the lyrics).

Those are some of the favorites, when testing new gear. As well as Nils Löfgren, Bela Fleck and Infected Mushrooms (digital).

I'm not harmful, just introspective. You can probably think I'm weird, but it's not harmful weird.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 7:11pm
I use 'Man Next Door' too!

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic