FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Low Inductance MM ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
on-ga-ku View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote on-ga-ku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Low Inductance MM ?
    Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 10:52pm
Hello

Almost certainly the only place on the intertubes to obtain a non lunatic-fringe answer to this one. I have an Audio Technica AT150Ea MM cartridge, gainfully ( ho ho ) fed into a Gram Amp 2 which is providing fine tunes. The deck is Graham's beloved favourite, the Planar 3, with an Origin Live RB250 arm - the one with the separate earth wiring loom.

Anyway, the AT150 is well known in it's MX and MXL variants, which I think are just stylus swaps. But what of the Ea ? The little information I can find suggests it's "feature" is low inductance, with the following data supplied :

Tracking force range (g).              0.75 to 1.75  (1.25g nominal) 
 Tracking angle                               23
 Coil Impedance @ 1kHz (ohm)      2300 ohm
 Coil DC resistance (ohm)              530 ohm
 Coil inductance (mH @ 1kHz)      350 mH
 Suggested resistive Load  (ohm)      47k ohm
 Suggested capacitive load              100 - 200pf

Is there any significance in the inductance figure there ? What purpose or problem is "low inductance" trying to address in a cartridge ? Finally, I assume this is a property of the gubbins within the cartridge body rather than the stylus, so would I be okay to replace the stylus when the time comes, with the more easy to obtain MX variant ? Thanks for any help !

Cheers

Paul

Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 9:33am
Think of a cartridge as a generator - you know, like the opposite of a motor. It has wire windings and a magnet. In a MM cartridge the magnet moves in sympathy with the stylus and the windings (the coil) are fixed (stood still). The magnet has to be light and therefore small so we can gather it isn't a strong magnet. To get a good output the coil needs to have plenty of what's called "ampere turns", in other words a "big" coil.

Inductors are coils of wire. The more turns to a coil (which means more layers usually), the more inductance.

On average the inductance of a moving magnet cartridge is 0.5H (H means Henries after the bloke who discovered inductance). The input impedance of a phono input is designed to match this average inductance. The IEC/DIN standard calls for 47k Ohm resistive load, 100pf of arm cable capacitance and a 220pf input capacitor. Often though, phono preamp manufacturers make the input capacitor 100pf in case the arm cable is more capacitive.

In reality we end up with a load of 47k Ohms in parallel with around 250pf on a 0.5H coil. Using a bit of electronics math(s) we find the 47k load gives a -3dB upper frequency roll off at around 15kHz, which incidentally is yesteryear's high fidelity. The 250pf being in parallel with the 0.5H of the coil is in fact a tuned circuit (like they use in a radio) and that gives us a frequency of 16kHz with a bit of what's called peaking - a bit of a hump - which when it subsides has carried us to around 20kHz thus fulfilling the 20kHz upper frequency requirement for "modern high-fidelity".

Now, all MM cartridge manufacturers know the above. But they may want to do it differently - they all have their own ideas on how to push the performance that little bit further. Some use a higher inductance and modify the stylus resonance to give the cartridge a bit more high frequency extension. Some instead modify the inductance downward and keep the stylus pretty well taught with similar results. And some pitch it somewhere in-between.

Swapping the stylus of a particular cartridge for a different variant may well make a difference but I'd have thought a subtle one. The "proof of the pudding" etc...

We'll be interested in your findings.

PS. There is a lower inductance sort of MM. It's moving iron (MI) in fact. It works on a different principle and often needs some parallel input resistance to damp high frequency peaks to get the best sound. There is also high output moving coil (MC) which often requires similar measures. tg and fatmangolf have written quite a bit on load-plugs elsewhere on this forum and if they could provide the links it may also be of interest.

Edited by Graham Slee - 20 Dec 2011 at 9:39am
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
on-ga-ku View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote on-ga-ku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 9:52am
Graham

Many thanks for taking the time to reply. I am sure this is basic stuff ( for you, not me ). I had read with great interest elsewhere on the forum your information regarding the capacitance and impedance characteristics of MM carts. I was finding it hard to find much about inductance and it's "effects". If indeed any are attributable to one standalone parameter at all, rather than the whole "system" electrically and magnetically of course. I think a spot of marketing from Audio Technica perhaps, or just covering their bases for compatibility purposes.

I like the sound of this setup immensely, which is really all I'm bothered about, but did wonder if I'll need a whole new cart when the stylus finally wears due to this "low inductance" thing. Maybe not, given that the specs above are all within a fairly normal range.

Might just treat the Gram Amp 2 to a PSU1 as a 10 year anniversary gift though...

Much appreciate the time taken to help.

Paul

Edited by on-ga-ku - 20 Dec 2011 at 9:53am
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 1:02pm
The stylus won't alter the inductance.

The stylus tuning and the inductance of the cartridge (in the cartridge body itself) work together in determining the overall cartridge performance, for the given load. I will add that cartridge manufacturers usually quote a capacitive loading "spread" indicating that the cartridge is tolerant of a narrow span of capacitance in which it will deliver what they consider to be right.

Changing from one type of stylus to another "allowed" stylus for a specific cartridge may lead to a subtle difference. The Goldring 1000 series works in very much a similar way, each stylus offering a difference in performance.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 5:32pm
If it helps Paul, I found the Goldring 2500 (720mH) was more affected by the capacitor loading (cable 100pF plus preamp internal 100 - 220pF)  than the Rega Exact (approx 100mH). I thought the high frequences on the Goldring 2500 were great with 100 + 100pF, became a bit trebly for me with 100 + 220p and more so with another 100pF added to that. It's a sort of tone control, giving more treble boost at a lower frequency as the capacitor increases. The real test is what it sounds like to you.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
on-ga-ku View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote on-ga-ku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 7:50am
That's a useful data point, thank you. I seem to recall the capacitance of the OL RB250 wire was different ( and dependent on the plugs fitted too ) to the Rega original, though I can't remember if it was significant. Either way, it all sounds good right now and I have my eye on a replacement stylus ( not the "Ea" type ) that I may try shortly.

Paul
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 1:15pm
You are welcome Paul. A very good stylus, with accurate alignment, will reveal more of the music. As Graham wrote, it won't alter the electrical characteristics so if you like the sound/tonal balance of the cartridge now I hope you would love it with the new stylus. Best wishes

Jon
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic