FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Topic ClosedUK loan programme

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 53>
Author
oldagetraveller View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2011 at 5:17pm
"if I hadn't got the MM3 I would have borrowed an MC just to try the Elevator/Reflex M myself."

I briefly tried the Reflex fed by Roksan and MM3. The fact it has around 300 hours under it's belt explains why it was so good. That MM3 cartridge is superb in the Nima arm. On the advice of Len Gregory the anti-skate is set to it's lowest too which seems fine. Tracking weight at 16mN.
I'll also be setting up the SL1210 again next week, the separate headshell means I can try the ATOC9 MC, Denon DL110 high outputMC (directly into the Reflex) and an old Goldring 1042 MM.
Oh, and buy another chopping board!
I asked Graham elsewhere about the Elevator and the Denon DL304 which has a very low 0.18mV output. There's no hint of any hiss which he mentioned could be evident. So the Elevator copes really well with that particular output. In fact I've had to ease the Naim pre- amp vol. back a bit with the Elevator/Reflex combination compared to that using the Era Gold V on it's own.

Edited by oldagetraveller - 30 Nov 2011 at 10:43am
Peter

P T- LPT/RB300/G1042, Pink Triangle Tarantella/Nima/Ortofon 2M Black, SL1210II, Naim CD5, NAC112, NAP150, Flatcap2, Proac SC1, GS SoloUL,GS Accession , Senn HD250 & HD540.
Papy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2011 at 8:56pm
Courtesy of Graham's loan programme and Jon, I have received the cusat50 cables on Wednesday and have been A/B'ing via the UL switch them since on my setup (Arcam CD73 + U/L PSU + HD650 - I do not know exactly the specs of my current interconnects, they were just added to the package when I bought the Arcam).

Probably after 10-12h listening, I must confess I do not hear any major differences as yet between the 2 sets of cables. The Cusat has made the sound (marginally) slightly more forward and fuller, and removed some of the treble harshness on some recordings.

However, truth be told, I have been so engulfed into the music that I have several times forgotten everything about the switch altogether during those listening sessions and, when I gathered my senses again, found out a pretty even split on where the switch was left in the first place...I think that's quite a testament to the U/L, if it ever needed one... eventually listening to the music in any case, not the gear. 

Will see how/if anything changes during the rest of the loan period Smile

------------
Olivier
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2011 at 9:50pm
Thanks Papy. I found the Cusat50 cable transparent and natural, letting all the music through from transients to low level detail.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2011 at 9:51pm
To all UK members please PM me if you are interesting in trying out a piece of Graham Slee equipment. There is a list a few pages back, some items are available and some are out on loan. I will advise on availability/dates.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 11:41am
Both the Elevator (E) and Reflex M (R)have been "on" for 5 days now with only a very brief "off" yesterday when I changed the source to the Roksan t/t fitted with Cartridgeman Musicmaker 3 and plugged that into the Reflex only.
At first the E sounded non too good, very bright with splashy cymbals and poor bass. Even after only 24 hours things improved immensely. There is even a noticeable improvement after two or three tracks have been played in a particular listening session! After 4 days it started to sound sublime, very musical with a wide and 3D soundstage. The PT t/t is a bit of an "in your face" beast but the E and R took this in their stride and calmed it down somewhat. Coupled with the R the results, even at this early stage of "burn in", are impressive the music really shines through. A warning though, they are very transparent and revealing, poor recordings come across as, well, poor recordings. On The Who's "Whos Next lp, disc 3 (live) Pete Townshend's amplifier has hum!Cool
The R highlights what a truly outstanding cartridge the MM3 is too. It sounded poor at first - operator error again - until I reset the tracking force to 15.82mN from 12mN. Don't know how that changed?
I dug out my Nimbus Supercut Eagles "Desperado" from it's vault last night and treated myself to a rare listen. Why aren't all lps cut like this?
I'll sort out the SL1210 for the weekend before reluctantly returning these loan items and try the Reflex with Denon DL110 high output MC first, then the ATOC9 through the E and R with which I'm sure the results will be just the same.
I now need to get my post count up before ordering, initially, an Elevator!

Edited by oldagetraveller - 30 Nov 2011 at 10:43am
Peter

P T- LPT/RB300/G1042, Pink Triangle Tarantella/Nima/Ortofon 2M Black, SL1210II, Naim CD5, NAC112, NAP150, Flatcap2, Proac SC1, GS SoloUL,GS Accession , Senn HD250 & HD540.
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 12:34pm

It will probably be too much to tackle, you have sufficient to try in the time left anyway, but I found adding a parallel load of 1Kohm to the DL-110 to be very worthwhile, tamed the top end a little and filled out the rest whilst reducing the level of surface noise.  Perhaps you can try that later with the EGV anyway.

Sounds like it is proving a worth while experiment now at any rate, which is good to hear.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 2:54pm
I honestly wouldn't want to try "experimenting" by adding loads in parallel or anything else anyway tg! How is that done?- not at the moment and using loaned gear anyway. Knowing my luck something would go "pop"! You've kindled my curiosity now.LOL
I haven't found the DL110's top end to be too bad at all. It has to be one of the best cartridge bargains around with a performance far in excess of it's price. I have found it works particularly well in the minimally modified SL1210 which has only had the rubber mat replaced by one in acrylic.

Edited by oldagetraveller - 23 Nov 2011 at 2:56pm
Peter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 53>
  Share Topic