FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Topic ClosedUK loan programme

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4041424344 53>
Author
Baflar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 12:09pm
That's really interesting, Graham.  Back in the early '70s I was the first psychologist to be employed in the Post Office Telecommunications (i.e. BT) Human Factors Research Group - surrounded by electronic/electrical engineers building all sorts of equipment with great dedication and talking about op-amps and discrete components every day!  I can't say I understood it all (and I've forgotten almost all the subsidiary Engineering that I did as an undergraduate), but there's a message in there that 'progress' for some purposes is not necessarily progress for what matters to discerning people.  The problems associated with the 'shrink' phenomenon that you mention sound totally plausible. 

I'm glad to hear that you keep worrying away at solving these problems.  I've always felt that there seems to be a tradition of invaluable British hi-fi manufacturers who are really enthusiasts.  (And many based in Yorkshire!)

Absolutely right that the proof of the proverbial pudding lies in the listening (I've sent a message to Fatmangolf in that pursuit).  I feel I've still got 'good ears', and an interest in the psychology of sound helps.  I carried out all the early qualitative market research on DAB radio for the BBC, and it was fun to tell them how different the Techno-receptives market segment was from all the other groups we identified!  (If you're really interested in that, I talked through all the groups of listeners in my lecture on YouTube: http://bit.ly/1oJtrFk : it's in the second half of the lecture.)

Thanks for an interesting response.  I now look forward even more keenly to getting my hands on a Gram Amp 2 Communicator!

BackinBlack View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 1:24pm
Graham, I for one am grateful that you take the time to examine the effects that progress has on the components you use or probably discard depending on their suitability and that you take the time to explain to those of us here why it matters.
With regard to integrated phono stages, I have found that even the humble Genera outperformed not only pre CD era but also contemporary offerings from apparently well regarded and reviewed manufacturers.
Currently amongst mainstream "HiFi" manufacturers there seems to be more emphasis on using boutique or novel components and designs than getting to a genuine quality of sound.
Please keep up the good work and explanations, we are listening both to the wise words and the musical sound your products make.

Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 8:31pm
Hear hear!
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Dazza View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 10:25am
Hi,
I have just joined the forum and am interested in trying the Reflex C. I'd be grateful if you would provide me more information on how and when this might be possible.

Thanks in advance,

Darren
ICL1P View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 11:38am
Originally posted by Dazza Dazza wrote:

Hi,
I have just joined the forum and am interested in trying the Reflex C. I'd be grateful if you would provide me more information on how and when this might be possible.

Thanks in advance,

Darren
click on the little triangle beside Fatmangolf in the post before yours. From there you will get the option to send Jon a private message. He will look after you.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 2:06pm
Thanks Ian.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 8:05pm
Back from a short break and will reply to PM's by the weekend.
Jon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4041424344 53>
  Share Topic