FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

What music has impressed you today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 377378379380381 398>
Author
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2023 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by Mikeh Mikeh wrote:

Most impressed listening to a pre-release copy of The Who, 'Who's Next' album. Jon Astley, the producer brought a copy to the local vinyl night at The CAT Club (Classic Album Thursday) in Pontefract. A tiny venue in small northern town but the organiser has made lots of contacts over the years and this was a  return visit by Jon.  The album is a digital remaster using the original master tapes that were 'found' by RCA after they discovered one employee had been 'borrowing' master tapes over a number of years and making his own versions! The mastering by Jon using some fancy computer adjustment to correct the timing using the coded signal made by the recording deck (I forget the correct terminology).  Wobbly notes in the original release are gone, and the clarity greatly improved.
One to look out for when  released later in the year.  Apparently there will be a series of 4 new Who remasters, so will need to get the credit card ready.

I'm a big fan of the album. I know the story about the master tapes well. They were actually found in the early/mid-2000s IIRC, and it was MCA Records, not RCA.

FWIW I have purchased this album many times so I am loathe to buy it again. The best version I have ever heard is this one, done by Astley for the Japanese market only. If he manages to top this one I will be very but pleasantly surprised and would buy it. Hopefully he didn't add too much dynamic range compression.

EDIT:

Pictures of the master tapes from a 2003 reissue campaign, so the tapes would have likely been found just before that.

The big CD reissue campaign from 1995 used remixes in several cases, because the original tapes were missing at that time. So they went to the multis for some stuff and made new mixes.

Edited by patientot - 24 Feb 2023 at 4:08pm
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
Mikeh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mikeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2023 at 3:49pm
Thanks for the correction David, a 24hr memory issue!
I can't compare the new version to any to any other than the poor '90s mix I own and the best on Quobuz streaming.  All I can say is that when asked, in Jon's opinion this is his best work.
Mike

Technics sl1210g with Victor U-2
Accession MM, Majestic + Proprius, Solo ULDE
Cambridge Audio CXC CD player
Lindemann Limetree Bridge streamer
Harbeth P3ESR XD paired with 2x REL t5x
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2023 at 4:28pm

Thanks for the correction David, a 24hr memory issue!
I can't compare the new version to any to any other than the poor '90s mix I own and the best on Quobuz streaming.  All I can say is that when asked, in Jon's opinion this is his best work.

I will be keeping an eye out for it. I don't like the '95 remix much, but I know some folks do.
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2023 at 7:42pm
Today I went to Drift Record shop to collect my copy of David Bowie "A Divine Symmetry" (pre-order) while I was in there I saw this album, Gorillaz "Cracker Island". Just played and it's a great album, I have all their albums and there is not a bad one IMO.
I have said this before, I just can't go in this shop without coming out with more than I went in there for.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Mikeh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Mikeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 4:47pm
Been streaming a couple of Traffic albums. I remember 'John Barcleycorn Musy Die' from '70 but never owned it. Listening to it now makes me think I missed out, a cracking album. I'd not previously heard the follow up release,  'The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys' which  evidently was a major hit in the US.  A different sound, quite melodic in  places but with distinctive Winwood vocals.
Mike

Technics sl1210g with Victor U-2
Accession MM, Majestic + Proprius, Solo ULDE
Cambridge Audio CXC CD player
Lindemann Limetree Bridge streamer
Harbeth P3ESR XD paired with 2x REL t5x
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 5:08pm

Been streaming a couple of Traffic albums. I remember 'John Barcleycorn Musy Die' from '70 but never owned it. Listening to it now makes me think I missed out, a cracking album. I'd not previously heard the follow up release,  'The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys' which  evidently was a major hit in the US.  A different sound, quite melodic in  places but with distinctive Winwood vocals.

I have both those original Traffic albums... from the '70s.
 2 of my favorites and well cared for still sound great!

If you can find this one...
 Traffic, the second studio album by the English rock band Traffic, released in 1968...
includes their biggest hit "Feelin' Alright?".

Edited by BAK - 27 Feb 2023 at 5:23pm
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 7:51pm
Talking Heads "The Best Of Once In A Lifetime" track 12: "(Nothing But) Flowers"

Great lyrics!
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 377378379380381 398>
  Share Topic