FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

What music has impressed you today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 266267268269270 397>
Author
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 10:41pm
Recently a friend challenged me to come up with ten albums, in ten days, that have been influential on my musical tastes over the years. This is something that's been going around on social media :). 

At any rate, today was day four and these are the albums I've picked so far. 

Cocteau Twins - Head Over Heels

Charles Mingus - Town Hall Concert

Van Halen - Self-Titled a/k/a VH 1

Quicksand - Slip

I need to pick six more albums and this challenge has proven to be difficult. As I go through this, I'm revisiting some albums I have not played in a little while and reminding myself why I like them so much. 

Has anyone else done this, or a similar challenge with a short list of albums? 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by patientot patientot wrote:

Has anyone else done this, or a similar challenge with a short list of albums? 

Yes, see my post from 2013 (p7) in the thread: "20 Desert Island Albums List"

I'm still discovering great new albums on release or recommendations of older gems from friends but 6 years later, I stand by this selection as containing the greatest influence on my tastes. 

Many of these bring back happy memories of my long-ago youth.

Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 2:07am
Image result for rush moving pictures
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Godra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 12:09am
I have bought last week the following box set : Chet baker- The Legendary Riverside Albums (5 lp)- Craft Recording. First time listening to Chet Baker. It's a great discovery to me. I love the way he plays the trumpet. 
Clearaudio Performance DC with Clarify tonearm + Virtuoso V2, Tannoy Legacy Eaton, Accession MM and BAT VK300Xse
kgilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 7:12pm
Chet Baker is great although I could never come to terms with his singing.
You might also like - Art Pepper The Complete Art Pepper At Ronnie Scott's Club London June 1980 180g 7LP Box Set. I got it a few weeks ago and really like it. Very well recorded and the pressing is excellent.
I have only recently expanded my interest in Art Pepper. He was a very troubled soul and some of the commentary he makes on this album shows his insecurity. Never really came to terms with his genius. Unfortunately didn't live long after this session.
Keith

Marantz TT-15S1, Maestro V2, Accession MM, Icon Audio Stereo 40 Mk lll, Wharfedale Jade 3.

Mac Mini, BitPerfect, Dynaudio Xeo2

Marantz SA-15S1, Apple TV, Cambridge CXA60, B&W DM2000, REL Sub
Godra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 10:09pm
Thanks for pointing out that box set.  I just added it to my Wantlist on my Discogs account. 
Clearaudio Performance DC with Clarify tonearm + Virtuoso V2, Tannoy Legacy Eaton, Accession MM and BAT VK300Xse
kgilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 10:38pm
I notice that you have a similar turntable set up to me. The Marantz is made by Clearaudio. How do you like the Accession MM? I am thinking of upgrading from my ERA Gold V.
Keith

Marantz TT-15S1, Maestro V2, Accession MM, Icon Audio Stereo 40 Mk lll, Wharfedale Jade 3.

Mac Mini, BitPerfect, Dynaudio Xeo2

Marantz SA-15S1, Apple TV, Cambridge CXA60, B&W DM2000, REL Sub
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 266267268269270 397>
  Share Topic