FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

What music has impressed you today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 397>
Author
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2011 at 1:38pm
Yes it is truly sad. I've never heard a fully satisfying version of that album and still it's one of my all time favourites Big smileCry
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2011 at 7:44pm
I wouldn't recommend it but it could possibly sound great on acid....CoolShocked
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2011 at 9:07pm
XTC's Black Sea had a spin today, curious slice of quirky guitar pop but I'd forgotten (or never heard properly) all the little bits of percussion and keyboards.
On the earlier postings I have a few poor pressings, including side 1 of the La's debut album.

Edited by Fatmangolf - 13 Nov 2011 at 9:11pm
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2011 at 9:53pm
Regarding my mention of pre-decimalisation UK currency... just been listening to Legend of a Mind by the Moody Blues ("In Search of the Lost Chord" 1968, re-issued on the album "This Is The Moody Blues") which have some interesting lyrics...

Timothy Leary's dead.
No, no, no, no, He's outside looking in.
Timothy Leary's dead.
He'll fly his astral plane,
Takes you trips around the bay,
Brings you back the same day,
Timothy Leary. Timothy Leary.

Timothy Leary's dead.
Timothy Leary's dead.
He'll fly his astral plane,
Takes you trips around the bay,
Brings you back the same day,

Along the coast you'll hear them boast
About a light they say that shines so clear.
So raise your glass, we'll drink a toast
To the little man who sells you thrills along the pier.

He'll take you up, he'll bring you down,
He'll plant your feet back firmly on the ground.
He flies so high, he swoops so low,
He knows exactly which way he's gonna go.

He'll take you up, he'll bring you down,
He'll plant your feet back on the ground.
He'll fly so high, he'll swoop so low.
Timothy Leary.

He'll fly his astral plane.
He'll take you trips around the bay.
He'll bring you back the same day.
Timothy Leary.

LOL
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2011 at 10:42pm
Maybe the sound engineers working on CTTE were all on acid and thought it sounded all sorts of splendid. Ermm
Let's take the slightly pompous church organ part near the end of side one for example. It's painfully jarring on every copy I've heard including a CD remaster or two. Who thought that sounded all right, were they deaf?
This makes me wonder how so many records of old and so many remastered CD's of today (and new albums too) can be produced and released sounding so majorly flawed? In the case of CDs, most often through the moronic implementation of insane volume levels eating up all the dynamics and causing distortion, in other words a willfully created sh*tness.
How are people so obviously unfit and uncapable of doing their job ending up producing and mixing music? Is there perhaps some severe shortage of proper sound engineers in the world? To me it seems natural and obvious that someone who does a sh*t job producing or remastering an album won't get the job the next time around and thus would perish in the natural selection of the capitalist world. But these rules do not seem to apply here for some reason, and no matter how much I try to understand why, I am still baffled and find it most bewildering.
Am I alone wondering what is wrong with the music industry? Why trip yourself making inferior products, it doesn't make sense.

Edited by suede - 13 Nov 2011 at 10:44pm
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2011 at 11:15pm
"The music suffers
The music business thrives"

Paul Simon

"And did we tell you the name of the game, boy?
We call it Riding the Gravy Train."

Pink Floyd

"It's only knock and know all but I like it"

Genesis

etc

I know it's the British disease and maybe the USA too?

Edited by Graham Slee - 14 Nov 2011 at 12:34am
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2011 at 2:50am
All very true. Not only in the music business. Seems all of corporate business wants to ride the Gravy Train.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 397>
  Share Topic