FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

What music has impressed you today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 397>
Author
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 6:12pm
I second that being the greatest ever live rock album! And also Kinks being more than worthy of relishing! Heart
For today, I have discovered a compilation of 60's American R&B/Soul covers of Lennon/McCartney Beatles songs. It's called "Come Together : Black America Sings Lennon/McCartney and it's great fun if you're a Beatles fan and/or love "old school" R&B/Soul music.
Also I've been listening a lot to Sam Cooke today which I for some reason haven't done in way too long I now realise. Just perfect music for a gloomy gray autumn sunday! Smile

Johan
musicdude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 7:48pm
Manfred Mann's Earthband "Watch" from 1977 in vinyl. Especially the song "California".  Reminds me of my teenage years.....  Smile 
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 8:33pm

I gave Paul Weller's "Wild Wood" a spin earlier. It has a warm and consistent sound throughout the album, great musicianship and many nods to the Kinks, the Small Faces, and The Who. 

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
lapkwan View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lapkwan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2011 at 10:57pm
What music has impressed me today? Cecilia Bartoli's songs, I've got a 8CDs album of her, awesome and unbelievable techniques with just a human voice, amazing!
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 6:51pm
Thanks to the new MMIII I have been replaying a lot of old vinyl this weekend. I've heard more of Blondie's "Parallel Lines" now, enjoyed "Short sharp Shocked," first Tracy Chapman LP, various Blue Aeroplanes LP's and the first two Human League albums. Robbie Robertson's debut solo album was good fun and I enjoyed playing "Tutu" again with its period instruments (80's synths!) like the Academy of Ancient Music LP's (18th and 19th century orchestral instruments).
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Lucabeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucabeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2011 at 10:45am
Finally, after many listenings, I have started to appreciate the beauty of Opeth's new album "Heritage". Impressive, a very weird progressive rock record with plenty of atmosphere.

I suggest you have a few listenings, because it's excellent: I still prefer the older style of Opeth (when they were doing progressive death metal), but this new "soft and elegant" incarnation might be more accessible to those who can't stand growls and such "heavy" stuff.

Of course, also available on vinyl (so Graham is happy!), but mastered in an audiophile way (little compression, no loudness enhancements) on CD too.

Edited by Lucabeer - 01 Oct 2011 at 10:46am
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2011 at 12:08pm
I spent most of yesterday afternoon listening to all of the Peter Gabriel era Genesis albums from Foxtrot on. The fact (or opinion if humble) that these are some of the very best albums ever made was no news, but I still get impressed by every single listening even though I've probably heard them at least a couple of dozen times each.
I can warmly recommend the 1970-1975 Gensis Vinyl boxset. The albums here have been "remixed" rendering some small details to be slightly off from the original mix, but never in an obtrusive way I'd say, since the sound quality of these albums are suddenly 10 times greater it more than makes up for it. Because to be fair a lot of the old Charisma records are painfully poor in quality and severely lacking in dynamics.

Now, I have the 200 g deluxe edition so I do not know how the 180 g standard issue compares qualitywise but my guess is it can't be too far off.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 397>
  Share Topic