FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

What music has impressed you today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 301302303304305 397>
Author
TheScorpionsTale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheScorpionsTale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 8:21am
I'll have to beg your indulgence if I'm lowering the tone here. I've always been attracted by the offbeat, and by chance came across this British band: Girl One And The Grease Guns - now sadly disbanded.

According to Bandcamp, they formed in 2012, released various singles, an album (Night Of The Living Electrical Appliances - gives you an idea of what to expect) a mini album, and a compilation of their singles on CD. They made no live appearances, and kept their identities a secret, which remains.

To my ears their electronic keyboards, jangly guitar and female vocals bring to mind a sort of cross between an upbeat Au Revoir Simone and the 1980s British band The Primitives.

He's A Replicant, She Sits In The Freezer and Here Come The Catastrophe Machines are but three tracks. If I haven't put you off already, take a listen on Bandcamp. There is some vinyl still available, and CDs as well as downloads. Enjoy!

Graham

SL1200 II with SME M2-9R and various carts / Revelation M with PSU-1 / Cyrus amp, CD and streamer / Kralk Audio BC30-3 Floorstanders / Bitzie and Lautus USB
elwood p dowd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elwood p dowd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by TheScorpionsTale TheScorpionsTale wrote:

I'll have to beg your indulgence if I'm lowering the tone here. I've always been attracted by the offbeat, and by chance came across this British band: Girl One And The Grease Guns - now sadly disbanded.

wouldn't be surprised to find out that a lot of the manhattan love suicides were involved, caroline especially
they even share some song titles ;-)

this is why events unnerve me
TheScorpionsTale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheScorpionsTale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by elwood p dowd elwood p dowd wrote:

Originally posted by TheScorpionsTale TheScorpionsTale wrote:

wouldn't be surprised to find out that a lot of the manhattan love suicides were involved, caroline especially
they even share some song titles ;-)

...and share one of the record labels (Squirrel).

Oh wow, I see what you mean. This is just my thing (well, one of my many disparate things). TMLS hadn't crossed my horizon till now. Thanks for posting. Thumbs Up I feel my wallet opening...
Graham

SL1200 II with SME M2-9R and various carts / Revelation M with PSU-1 / Cyrus amp, CD and streamer / Kralk Audio BC30-3 Floorstanders / Bitzie and Lautus USB
elwood p dowd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elwood p dowd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 8:52am
my pleasure
been a while since have listened to au revoir simone, that's this afternoon's listening sorted

this is why events unnerve me
Help with bass View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Help with bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 12:08pm
Karlheinz Stockhausen, Stimmung (Tuning), DG avant garde, 1970. “Commit!” Tongue
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 5:00pm
Today's pick is "The Aegean Sea" by  Haruomi Hosono, Takahiko Ishikawa, and Masataka Matsutohya. Originally released in 1979, this was part of CBS/Sony's "Sound Image Series" of records which seem to generate a cult following online. Musically it's tough to describe, but I guess you could call this a kind of easy listening, "soundtrack without a movie" type release. It won't be to everyone's taste I guess but I like it. My copy is the Great Tracks/Sony Japan reissue from 2020, which was cut by Bernie Grundman and pressed at the reopened Sony Japan plant.

Edited by patientot - 24 Jun 2021 at 5:02pm
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2021 at 7:30pm
Burlesque (London) "Acupuncture" (1977)

Burlesque-Acupuncture

Memories came flooding back of MQ's rip-off quid deals and Samuel Smith's laxative beer at the Halfway House Hotel (South Yorkshire) on a Sunday night in 1975 and again in 1976.

I had to discover more, and after much research, I tracked down Billy Jenkins of the original line-up. He's kept a diary of all their appearances and the live recording of this album. It sounds so "real" I had to know if it was recorded at the Halfway. Billy replied no - the Island record's recording truck did drive up from London to the venue and attempted a recording, but according to Billy, the atmosphere didn't happen on the night. Unfortunately, Island chose a Tuesday, when many locals would be at home skint after a heavy weekend. The recording was eventually made in St. Alban's Civic Hall and The Nashville in North Kensington.

The album features every song from the tour, minus one - "Bananas" - which became the B-side of the promo single "Acupuncture." In those days, you'd have a problem with some of the lyrics, and today you'd have a different problem - dare I say "critical race theory?" "Bananas," however, was about something that rhymed with bananas! (well, almost)

Tracks

Elsie Petunia
Lana Turner
Cold War Romance
Hymie Blows It
Acupuncture
Where Did You Get It?
Drabola
C.N.D.' 63
Love It To Death

As for the genre, I don't have a clue. Some reckon on punk, but if it is, it's also jazz and blues.

Remains of the Halfway

Sadly, this is all that remains of the Halfway - the left of stage wall.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 301302303304305 397>
  Share Topic