FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

What music has impressed you today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 296297298299300 397>
Author
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 3:10am
Originally posted by Ernie Ernie wrote:

I got hold of Reproduction by The Human League. Early analogue synth pop. Jaw hit the floor hearing the first track on the second side Morale. Phil Oakey’s voice just hangs in the air in front of you.

I much prefer this era of THL and the second album (Travelogue) over any of the later stuff. I think the edge they had early on was really great, comparable with stuff like Fad Gadget, Foxx-era Ultravox, etc. 

Been looking out for a really nice old copy of Reproduction but never found one. I'm sure it'll turn up eventually. Unfortunately here in the U.S. the more desirable European pressings of this type of music are often hard to come by. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 3:12am
Originally posted by Kory Kory wrote:

The last three days I've been listening to the amazing recording of Prokofiev's entire Romeo and Juliet. We rarely, hear the music in it's entirety. I've played and conducted the Suites and often personal suites compiled from the three orchestral suites, and that's how concert audiences usually hear the music. Even ballet performances don't usually play all the movements. SO three days ago I pulled out a recording I've had for well over 30 years, the full ballet with Maazel and the Cleveland Orchestra on Decca. Their first recording with Decca. It has been glorious. The performance is completely spectacular, what amazing playing, tempos and balance are fantastic. But the recording itself is astonishing. Simply astonishing. Amazing dynamics, and the separation and location of instruments is jaw dropping. This recording belongs on every audiophile's "showcase vinyl" list. It jumped into my top 10 list immediately. And this music is not just a secondary piece recorded well. Top drawer music and recording. Can't recommend it more highly.

Years ago I had this recording on CD and really liked it. Don't have it anymore unfortunately. May have to look for that LP set eventually. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 3:17am
Today's pick is the 2020 album from Greg Foat, Symphonie Pacifique. I guess this would broadly fall under "contemporary jazz" but there is more going on here. Great melodic instrumental music. The album has a summery, breezy feel to it that is a great antidote to winter right now. 

Edited by patientot - 27 Jan 2021 at 3:17am
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 8:52pm
Excellent photo. I was playing two of the Long Ryders LP's. The song "Close to the light" always inspires me, psychedelic guitars and a baggy beat...

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 3:49pm
Traffic album: "John Barleycorn Must Die"
Songs: Glad & Freedom Rider
These songs sound more like Jazz than Rock/Pop.

have a listen here...
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 7:29pm
What music almost impressed me today...

Chopsticks, Springsteen, and a hint of Boogie Woogie, and it always sounded like deuce to me!

The Roaring Silence album by Manfred Mann's Earth Band features the memorable hit, Blinded By The Light, but on the vinyl LP, it's an extended version with more in common with that played live, not that I ever attended any of their gigs.

My pennies never stretched to buying any of their records. 44 years late, I now have the vinyl and the MP3 download of the CD.

I'm a bit careful buying albums I never heard before because often there are tracks which don't do it for me. This album wastes over 8 minutes with its soppy "Greenpeace-like" song, Singing the Dolphin Through (you might like it).

I can get into the other 30 minutes, and I wish I'd bought the CD because it's got the bonus tracks, and after copying it as a FLAC or WAV, I could have edited out the fish! Twelve inches of vinyl for just 30 minutes of entertainment?

I particularly liked the Mann treatment of The Road to Babylon. The only other version I've heard was Don McLean's from American Pie.

This isn't background music - it requires a decent volume to bring out the feeling and drama.

My verdict: It must be the only Mann album I can live with. The others I've heard sound like they're off their heads on something and not very musical!
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 9:39pm
Graham,
  You’ve just described my experience of buying albums unheard. And you’re 100% correct about Mann. 
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 296297298299300 397>
  Share Topic