FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

What music has impressed you today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 253254255256257 397>
Author
PaulRS View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PaulRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 1:49pm
Muddy Waters, Folk Singer.
The MFSL version which is an album i listen to at least 4 or 5 times a year and one of the first i play when i get any new equipment, so a personal test LP. 

Edited by PaulRS - 03 Jul 2019 at 1:52pm
No Music, No Life!
Paul
Xanderoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xanderoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 6:45pm
Tom Waits Blue Valentine 
Not only has it impressed me today, but everyday for weeks now, a truly wonderful album that I would recommend you all lend an ear too, two ears would be even better.
smutly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smutly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2019 at 12:30am
Originally posted by Xanderoo Xanderoo wrote:

Tom Waits Blue Valentine 
Not only has it impressed me today, but everyday for weeks now, a truly wonderful album that I would recommend you all lend an ear too, two ears would be even better.

Ah, yes, Blue Valentine. Probably my favorite T. Waits record. Love that one. Greasy and slinky...such a great group of jazz cats playing on that one.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 11:55am

As someone said to me yesterday, "one of the greatest American songwriters of the last 50 years". On many of the tracks here the instrumentation is fleshed out a bit more than his debut. There are even some soul backing vocals on a few tracks and they work well. This pressing is a 2018 reissue done by Rhino, cut by Kevin Gray AAA and pressed at Pallas. Sounds great.
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
Pwog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pwog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 2:01pm
 Joe Henry, in my opinion, is an amazing songwriter. His latest record (available on vinyl) is Thrum. Unfortunately, most of his discography is only available on CD. However, his music and lyrics, on CD or vinyl, deserve critical listening. I implore you to check him out.
Paul
Acoustic Research ES-1, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Ayre C-5xemp disc player, Dynaco SCA-35 (updated), Dynaco ST-70 (updated and modified), Revel performa M20, Accession M, CuSat 50 interconnects
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 1:15am
Guthrie Govan - Erotic Cakes

An astonishing musician, who just happens to play guitar.
In recent years he has played with Steven Wilson, both in the studio, and on tour.

My favourite tune on this recording is Wonderful Slippery Thing, but the entire album is melodic and highly enjoyable.
It's worth seeking out.

smutly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smutly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by Pwog Pwog wrote:

Joe Henry, in my opinion, is an amazing songwriter. His latest record (available on vinyl) is Thrum. Unfortunately, most of his discography is only available on CD. However, his music and lyrics, on CD or vinyl, deserve critical listening. I implore you to check him out.

I'm a Joe Henry fan. Jumped onboard with Short Man's Room, if I recall correctly. I've picked up three or four discs since that one, but nothing terribly recent. He's a great producer, too; knows how to get good sound. I'll have to look for Thrum on vinyl.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 253254255256257 397>
  Share Topic