FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

What music has impressed you today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 251252253254255 397>
Author
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by Richardl60 Richardl60 wrote:

Latest edition is Sam Cooke - best of double 45.  For music that was recorded either side of 60 years ago is incredible.

Some great music and exceptionally clean, dynamic and open soundstage - foot tapping stuff!  Bass detailed, tight, deep and powerful.

I know there are a lot of Mono fans out there (I have never been one of them) but shows how good we’ll recorded stereo recordings can be.

By comparison I have a couple of newly acquired Beach Boys albums from the late 60s and early 70’s wow what a difference in the recording, Sam Cooke clean, live and open sounding, whereas the Beach Boys are so heavily processed (too much multitracking) to produce an exceptional end result sonically anyway.

All are analogue productions so in theory should be about as good as they can get from the original sources.

I never play anything back to back again but so infectious it is very tempting!

That Sam Cooke sounds enticing. Unfortunately I have no vinyl from him, just a few CDs. I'm sure it sounds great. I think I know what you mean about those stripped down recordings. 

RE: the Beach Boys I never delved as deep as I should have, beyond the obvious stuff like Pet Sounds, Smile, or hits collections I heard here and there. 

I'm not a mono nut like some folks are but I can appreciate mono recordings. Earlier today I spent some time listening to 70s 2xLP reissues of 50s mono material from Art Pepper and Miles Davis. Although nowhere near the very best stuff from either artist I really enjoyed those. 
Fuzzy View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fuzzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 11:09pm
[deleted]

Edited by Fuzzy - 04 May 2019 at 11:12pm
Jan

Majestic DAC
Proprius
Gram Amp 2 SE
Solo SRGII
Solo ULDE
Fuzzy View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fuzzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by morris_minor morris_minor wrote:

Originally posted by Fuzzy Fuzzy wrote:

I love Beethoven 5 and 7 by the Vienna Philharmonic conducted by Carlos Kleiber. I am on the fence about buying the LP (Deutsche Grammofon 2530 516) to be able to experience them in that way.
These are favourites of mine too. Is your CD one of "The Originals" series - styled like a mini LP? 

Sorry for the late reply. I have to be honest, I don’t own any album, either LP or CD. I was just considering buying one of three possible (physical) media, namely the LP, CD or SACD. The SACD seems to recreate the original multi-channel recording.

Edited by Fuzzy - 04 May 2019 at 11:14pm
Jan

Majestic DAC
Proprius
Gram Amp 2 SE
Solo SRGII
Solo ULDE
hippyeverafter View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hippyeverafter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 10:41am
Currently listening to Confessin' The Blues. Five 10" vinyl boxed set with tracks selected by members of The Rolling Stones and a steal at less than £50.
Terry

"You pass life's shop once in your life so buy the best". Proprius, Accession, Solo Ultra Linear, Majestic, CuSat50 Interconnects, Spatia Cable, Thorens TD206, Ortofon Blue, Dali Opticon 2.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 4:50pm

More great contemporary jazz coming out of the UK. The pressing itself isn't the best (Optimal I think)...some light spots of non-fill here and there but doesn't detract from enjoying the music too much. 

Edited by patientot - 29 May 2019 at 4:50pm
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 8:37pm
Two recent diverse Vinyl purchases arrived today.

Mobile Fidelity - Upstairs at Erics (Yazoo) haven't heard this for a lot of years excellent musically (if it floats your boat) and dead quiet pressing listened a louder on my volume control than normal which likely reflects a dynamic and relatively low velocity recording and exceptionally clean recording and rendition of Alison's voice.

Second was a new 'UB40 collected' release believe like Yazoo limited edition this on Gold double vinyl; echo the pressing, music comments above if not quite as dynamic.  This is the second album I have in the 'collected' range the first Fats Domino was also excellent - may have to see what else is available in this range as come well recommended.

patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by Richardl60 Richardl60 wrote:

Two recent diverse Vinyl purchases arrived today.

Mobile Fidelity - Upstairs at Erics (Yazoo) haven't heard this for a lot of years excellent musically (if it floats your boat) and dead quiet pressing listened a louder on my volume control than normal which likely reflects a dynamic and relatively low velocity recording and exceptionally clean recording and rendition of Alison's voice.

I got this one fairly recently also and was very impressed. I never really listened to the band before getting this one and finding a U.S. copy of their second album in the used bin maybe a month ago. As with the other recent MOFI records I have, little to no compression seems to have been used during mastering so you have to crank them up so they "bloom". According to a friend that has the original UK pressing of "Upstairs" that one has more of a "V" shaped EQ emphasizing the high and low end while the MOFI pressing sounds more balanced and even handed. If I ever come across a clean UK LP I'll pick it up for my own comparison. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 251252253254255 397>
  Share Topic