FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

What music has impressed you today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 223224225226227 398>
Author
Rmcin626 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rmcin626 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2016 at 11:18pm
Great album, all great players
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2016 at 1:16am
The Bowie Prom at the Royal Albert Hall. My birthday present from my wife. Absolutely superb!
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 7:04pm
One for Alan Parson completists  - their "contractual obligation album" to get them out of their Arista contract.

I saw one review referring to it as "atonal" - which is plainly rubbish (aside from one snippet) - but it is a quick knock-up by Woolfson/Parsons; a lot of keyboard meandering. But compared to a lot of the dross around, for me at any rate, it's a good listen. The ideas could have well been developed into great APP tracks.

Track 2 appears on a CD issue I have of "Eve".
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 7:20pm
Whilst visiting Phil he played me Natalie Merchant's "Tigerlilly" album in its original and "Paradise..." form, a fascinating comparison on many levels. As a result I have listened to both a few times and recommend them, probably tending towards the rawer original LP myself.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 1:02am
Anthony Phillips - The Geese & The Ghost

Anthony Phillips was one of the original founding members of Genesis in 1969. As the youngest member aged 17 he was the lead guitarist as well as a songwriter on From Genesis To Revelation; Trespass; and had a hand in the tracks Musical Box and Fountain Of Salmacis from Nursery Cryme.

I hadn't realised that after he left the Genesis line up in 1970 (after only 1 year) that he'd had a solo career assisted by Michael Rutherford and Phil Collins who performed with him on The Geese & The Ghost, and Collins had recorded with him before joining Genesis.

As Trespass and the two tracks from Nursery Cryme have been great favourites of mine since I first heard them in the early 70s, I wondered what the above album was like. I found a copy on Amazon UK and decided to give it a go.

In ways different to the output of Genesis, and it's probably going to take some time to "get into", but there are hints of early Genesis and I can also detect a riff used by Porcupine Tree in there. Also suggestions of "White Mountain" from Trespass, and in fact on the title track you realise where a lot of influence came from on early Genesis music.

So far I'm quite impressed and I thought it worth including in this topic.

Edited by Graham Slee - 27 Aug 2016 at 1:15am
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 4:07pm
Jazz harpists are, to my knowledge, not very common. So when I came across this album I was intrigued - and captivated.

The link is to a You Tube "video" of the whole album from a channel well worth exploring if you're a jazz enthusiast . . . 

Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
JamesD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 8:46pm
Sorry to kind of hijack this thread but I'd like to add "anything coming out of my Ebay bargain Aiwa AX7600 receiver from 1979". Before the brand was bought out and went down market. Built like a tank, bearings in the detents for the controls, decent low bass despite psu caps that must be past their best (if the fact that just about all of the display bulbs had blown is anything to go by) and clear as a bell. So much so I'm tempted to sell one of my more expensive amps so the money can go towards my Propius funds. Makes me wonder what modern stuff this was replaced with when the owner decided to ditch it...
Aren't ears brilliant
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 223224225226227 398>
  Share Topic