FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Cleaning the stylus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
chapsjon View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chapsjon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 9:38am
An alternative to the Onzoe that's about 30% cheaper and available on Amazon is Momila. Also from Japan and from what I can tell may be the same product under another name. If not exactly the same, it is very close. If you have a lot of build up, you may need to use something more, but for standard dust it quickly and effectively removes these from the stylus without danger. Just simply hold it under the tonearm and gently "drop" the stylus on top of "goop" from a few mm above. Lift off and stylus is clean. Dirt and dust remain behind.
shashirao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shashirao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 5:15pm
Over the years I tried everything from the brushes to the goop to the ultrasonic stylus cleaners.

I have settled down to the basics: The MoFi stylus cleaner brush, and liquid. Looks and works like a nail polish brush. The liquid is expensive hence I do not mind using one of my vinyl cleaners. It if safe to clean vinyls, it is safe to clean the stylus.

I agree with the gentleman who suggested regular cleaning of the vinyls. I use the ultrasonic bath once every few years for my collection. Depends on how much I play those vinyls.

I have a routine, after playing each side, use the MoFi brush to clean the stylus regardless. Check with the magnifier for any dust or fuzz.

As for the rest, here are the reasons I stopped using them:

1. The Japanese goop. I did not find it very effective, especially in tacking fuzz. Found myself wasting time on multiple cleanings....if fuzz remain, dip again. I archive vinyls so usually have a vinyl on the platter - find it cumbersome to placing the goop on the vinyl.

2. The ultrasonic cleaner - found this more effective than the goop - really cleans the stylus well in a single go. However placing that on the turntable/vinyl after each side become tiresome. For anyone suspecting OCD tendencies behind cleaning the stylus after each side, you are correct. I do not want to take chances in my archival process with sloppy cleaning habits.

So it back to the basics, a quick brush works. The brush is thin enough to do a thorough job, a couple of strokes back to front of the stylus makes it shiny. I can also clean any dust I see on the cartridge body.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 9:28pm
FWIW I have a similar approach using a goop style cleaner after each side (which does a good job IMO)  and then a solvent/brush clean every few weeks. And yes an ultrasonic clean very couple of months on my more frequently played albums. So a very similar approach!
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
shashirao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shashirao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 9:49pm
Yes - the goop and ultrasonic are effective and may come back in regular use when I get into listening mode. With my focus on archival, I end up playing 12-15 vinyls each day...hence the need for something simple, quick and reliable.
Pike on the fly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pike on the fly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 8:11pm
I use this https://www.mcru.co.uk/product/mcru-stylus-cleaning-putty/ about once a week, cheap & works. Not sure if its the same as anything mentioned previously, but just branded differently?
I also tend to brush after each side.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 8:44pm
I have Onzow Zerodust and Vinyl Passion, Dustbuster both i find good the VP is cheaper but the Onzow you can see the dirt better. 
Plus clean my records with the Super Exstatic carbon fibre & velvet cleaning pad before playing my records
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 5:19pm
Just finished an experiment to see what cleaned the stylus better a brush or my Onzow Zerodust. The result was the brush was better than the Onzow on most dirt but not as good on the more sticker stuff that I seem to collect on my stylus, this may have something to with me being a vaper. But saying that the Onzow is a lot quicker and does give a good clean of the stylus.
After this experiment I've come to the conclusion that from now on I will use both but will use the Onzow more often this being after few days and the brush once a week. I am not a lover of using the brush as I am a bit heavy handed, but needs must.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic