FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Cleaning the stylus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 11:35pm
Echoing Jon's comments I clean my Dustbusters when there are any fluff spots, that is to say the stuff they clean off my styluses. Not seen or heard any gunk build up and I've used them for a few years now.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 10:25pm
Tim
I have had this type cleaner for years now and have not found this to be the case. I do wash it from
time to time so may be this has prolong the stuff I use. the Onzow I use I have had it for about 3 years now and have not had a problem with it. I'm not saying it will last for ever.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 7:54pm
Try the Audio Technica AT6012 record cleaning kit.
I have one, and find that my stylus doesn't accumulate anything like the same amount of crud as it used to.

Edited by Chris Firth - 15 Aug 2021 at 7:55pm
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 7:40pm
beware the VP DustBuster gel type cleaners. 

They break down after a while & start depositing crud on the stylus 

Avoid 
Is the pursuit High Fidelity a sign of mental illness??
I think so....
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 6:57pm
I'm saying after a few days but that is I don't always play records as I have a lot of music on CD. I do use a record brush before playing a record (both sides) and I store my vinyl right back in the sleeve after playing them (98% of the time) I'm always surprised how much dirt there is after brushing even though most times I put the records back in their sleeves right after playing them. It just goes to show how much dust is in the air. I should get into the habit of giving the record a clean before I put them back in the sleeve. I do clean the stylus after each side when I 1st get a new record but again I should get into the habit in giving them a wet clean before playing. 
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 5:50pm
I use a Dustbuster after each side, but gently.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 5:19pm
Just finished an experiment to see what cleaned the stylus better a brush or my Onzow Zerodust. The result was the brush was better than the Onzow on most dirt but not as good on the more sticker stuff that I seem to collect on my stylus, this may have something to with me being a vaper. But saying that the Onzow is a lot quicker and does give a good clean of the stylus.
After this experiment I've come to the conclusion that from now on I will use both but will use the Onzow more often this being after few days and the brush once a week. I am not a lover of using the brush as I am a bit heavy handed, but needs must.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic