FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Advertising Standards...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advertising Standards...
    Posted: 27 Mar 2008 at 2:58pm
It is important not to mislead in sales publicity.

Few in hi-fi seem to realise that the Advertising Standards Authority has powers to stop and prevent misleading and untrue claims (lies in other words).

There are similar organisations in other countries.

I find it rather frustrating hearing about claims that flout otherwise easily understood laws of physics. I find it even more frustrating that people can be so easily led.

However, I do not report such claims for the simple reason of "tit for tat" - an injured party will always do his or her best to obtain revenge.

Therefore it is up to the public to report these things.

Here is an example of what happens when a member of the public reports a false claim.

All we need now is to have a way of stopping the idiot individuals who perpetuate such false claims - maybe they get money in return for favours? And what about those reviewers the public simply knows are telling untruths? For every person who realises this, their must be some who are taken in? Maybe the ASA should widen its scope? I would welcome that.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Charley Phogg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charley Phogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2008 at 4:04pm
Unfortunetly, I im in now shape to read that articule. I did glance at it, aand we all know hoow good ur product is. But how does a "boutiqe" manufacture compete against the mass producers?

From everything I have read that u've posted. it id clear that you will not bow to the masses. and from what you havealso said, it takes considerable time to devolpop your produt, which ever o it may be, not to mention regulations and the sort

It's a crying shame, that someome who cares so much about what he putsout there has to fught such a battle. You'd think it would be the other way around,a t least it should be   
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2008 at 4:58pm
I think we need to differentiate further...

There are mass producers

There are boutiques

And then there are craftsmen (not only me I hasten to add - there are others I'm sure, it's just that their voices are hidden)

Boutiques simply follow the fashion, and the fashion today is bullsh*t.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Charley Phogg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charley Phogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2008 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

I think we need to differentiate further...

There are mass producers

There are boutiques

And then there are craftsmen (not only me I hasten to add - there are others I'm sure, it's just that their voices are hidden)

Boutiques simply follow the fashion, and the fashion today is bullsh*t.

Sorry for the wrong phrase. I always thought of boutiques as the more/or less individual manufactuers competing against the big guys, hand built, like you do.

As you more or less say, craftsman shouldn't be grouped, to me, even in the same sentance. It's akin to taking am assembly line worker buildingcars, and comparinghim to some one who hand fabricates everything,from formingthe aluminum body shell, hand molded.
Dave Millier View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Millier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2008 at 12:31pm
Hi graham

I detest advertising. If I was King, the only form of advertising allowed would be: name of product, purpose of product, verified specifications, price! Facts only.

Audio is one of the worst sectors for advertising b**cks but it is by no means alone nor it is by any means the most dangerous.  One of the worst in my opinion is the advertising of medications on TV.

I cannot understand why pharma companies are allowed to make advertising-style claims about the efficacy and appropriateness of medicines in a bid to encourage self diagnosis and self prescription by untrained members of the public. Medicines can make you sick as easily (or more easily) than they can make you well; only doctors should be able to advise on their use.

But back to audio... Interesting that Russ should be challenged.  I'm no industry insider but I had always regarded that company as a small one-man outfit. Perhaps I've got that wrong. My candidate not for the ASA but for the lunatic asylum would be the claims of Peter Belt's company.  I was fascinated to read on their forum an earnest debate amongst customers worried about whether or not winter rainstorms meant they had to increase the strength of the PWB snakeoil they were putting in their drain pipes to improve their hifi gear...

Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2008 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by Dave Millier Dave Millier wrote:

Hi graham

But back to audio... Interesting that Russ should be challenged.  I'm no industry insider but I had always regarded that company as a small one-man outfit. 

Well his advertising certainly worked on you then...
Dave Millier View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Millier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2008 at 11:13pm
Hee hee, it might have done if I'd actually seen it! I think I might just be thinking of stuff I read in magazines 20 years ago.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic