FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

New Solo Ultra Linear

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2011 at 1:44am

An informative post FMG, (as yours usually are Thumbs%20Up) - thanks for sharing your impressions.

Does leave me feeling I may have to upgrade my Solo sooner rather than later Unhappy

Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2011 at 8:57pm
Thanks TG! The Solo Ultra Linear is outstandingly good, all of the headphones I have plugged in sound better than they ever have before. I was trying to write down why I like listening to it so much, which we all know is hard to do. I hope you get one, I am sure you'll feel the same way about it.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2011 at 12:17am
Well ... I am finally listening to a Solo Ultra Linear with a PSU1! Big smile Straight out of the box and fed using a pair of RCA splitters from an inexpensive HLLY SMK-II with Apple Lossless files from an iMac running iTunes 10.4.1 I can say that versus a fully burnt-in SRGII w/ PSU1:

1. The soundstage is wider.
2. There seems to be more air between the notes.
3. There is more clarity and I suspect more treble extension (to be confirmed after more burn in).

Now, why did I wait this long? Embarrassed

Edited by mrarroyo - 04 Oct 2011 at 12:18am
Miguel
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2011 at 8:09am
Originally posted by mrarroyo mrarroyo wrote:

Well ... I am finally listening to a Solo Ultra Linear with a PSU1! Big smile 
Now, why did I wait this long? Embarrassed

Don't look back Miguel, think of the years of pleasure ahead!
Jon
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 9:34pm
Well it has been 27 days and the Solo UL has been moved from the burning in location to the listening bench. Currently I am using a splitter to feed both the SRGII and the UL from the same source ... HLLY SMK-II DAC out. For cans I am using my 6 year old pair of Grado RS-1 and the music files are Apple Lossless from a 2009 iMac 3.06.

I still think the UL has a wider soundstage. However the difference is not as pronounced as I recall when I first took the UL out of the box. I then switched over to a Sennheiser HD580 w/ the HD650 cable and noticed I had to slightly increase the volume pot on the UL to match the SRGII. Not much of an increase, perhaps 1/4 hour more.

They are very close in this round and it would be very hard for me to select one over the other. I will get a better DAC to feed both amps concurrently to see if I can hear difference or not. More to come.
Miguel
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 10:33am
The soundstage on the UL is so much wider than the SRGII that it is hard to imagine unless you listen to the two amps side by side. The SRGII by virtue of having a narrower presentation has a more "in your face" impact. My wife and I feel the bass in the UL is a bit deeper and with more impact, not a night/day difference but noticeable.
Miguel
Fidel IT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fidel IT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2011 at 2:40pm
Hi mrarroyo,

I have an SRGII at the moment and will be buying an UL this month. I am listening through HD650's.

Your 2 posts above this one got me a bit confused. In the first one you're saying that the difference in soundstage is small, in the second one you're saying it's huge... The difference in time that you posted them is 2 days.

What made the experience so different? Did you use a better DAC?

regards

Fidel IT
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic