FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

New Solo Ultra Linear

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2011 at 2:39pm
Thank you. I will keep listening and enjoying it, knowing the sound will get better and better.Approve

Update: my Solo Ultra-linear is sounding better and better as predicted above. Three weeks or about 450 hours in and the sound is very clear. I found on head-fi that others have used their Tandy (!) and iPhone app SPL meters to measure dBA and dBC levels on the LCD-2 headphones. They run louder than you think, according to my very rough tests. I bought my pair from Simon at Hifi Sound and recommend auditioning them if you are considering a high end pair of headphones.

Back to topic, another very happy owner of a Graham Slee Solo Ultra-linear recommends it to other discerning listeners.

Edited by Fatmangolf - 23 Apr 2011 at 9:14pm
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 11:43pm
It just gets better and better, mmm... probably close to its final sound now. And worth every penny.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Kasper View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kasper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

Follwing on from Miguel's point about personal preference. I put an SPL meter roughly where my ear would be but not touching the LCD-2's and it gave about 85dBA on 'slow' which is quite loud enough for me. I use the Leq approach - how long would I want to listen to this level and would regular exposure of several hours damage the hearing I need to enjoy an £800 pair of headphones?

Thanks for pointing me to this thread of yours Fatmangolf. That sounds mighty loud! Yes that should damage your hearing with prolonged exposure. For short listening sessions I can tend to blast a little (11´clock), if I am in the mood. But for long sessions I tend to listen at around the 9´30 mark on the AKG 701.

Great to hear that the Solo UL will deliver more than enough power for the LCD-2. It´s that or HE-500. Unfortunately I just had to spend $1200 on a fridge instead, hear me whine, hear me cry. So the this dream has been postponed somewhat. The only and major comfort is that the Solo UL, is breathing new life into my K701´s. A lot of what I did not like about the K701 has now been corrected, and I am only 20 hours in on the burning.

By the way, I have a technical question, however basic. Does it at any level "burn in" the amp to leave it on, but not driving any headphones? I wondering if that stand by current does anything at all to the right components. Frankly I do not understand burning in on amps, so forgive me if I am being ignorant here.

Does anyone else here use pink noise for burning in? I am mostly just playing various sorts of music broken up my 5 minutes of pink noise from a FLAC file.

Are you going to write up a detailed "impressions" on the UL + LCD-2 combination at some point?
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 1:24pm

Kasper,

perhaps you will find much of what you enquire about in this http://www.gspaudio-community.activeboards.net/forum_posts.asp?TID=547&FID=49&PR=3&PN=1 thread.

Kasper View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kasper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by tg tg wrote:

Kasper,

perhaps you will find much of what you enquire about in this http://www.gspaudio-community.activeboards.net/forum_posts.asp?TID=547&FID=49&PR=3&PN=1 thread.

Thanks Embarrassed I really need to hit that search function.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 11:57pm
Originally posted by Kasper Kasper wrote:

Are you going to write up a detailed "impressions" on the UL + LCD-2 combination at some point?
Good idea Kasper, I will write some reflections down before too long!

Jon
Jon

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 10:41pm
Some reflections on Solo UL and LCD-2

Overall I really like the range of sound, from the deep bass to the clear hi-hats and percussion. I can clearly hear all the parts in a pop mix, and the echoes in acoustic recording. There is a lot of detail but the sound is not crisp, which makes brighter mixes and those with enhancers or exciters more listenable.

The depth and clarity of the bass and midrange makes drums and stringed instruments sound very good. For example some cello concertos come to life, upright and electric basses sound great. Drums sound great because the Solo UL/LCD-2 has real depth and is fast, kick/snare/tom parts are dynamic and I can hear the resonance of the toms.

The sound levels are fine for extended listening. I just measured 82dBA with a Realistic SPL meter on the "slow" setting and it will go louder than that. Now on 88-90dBA and still has clarity and dynamics, and is louder than I would usually listen. Out of curiosity I asked Audeze support to confirm the 91dB sensitivity was in fact at 1mW as stated, rather tested than 1V (which would be about 20mW into 50 Ohms). The prompt and courteous response said it was 1mW. That would fit with my SPL readings.

Enough specs and back to the music. I often listen to CD's and lossless/high bitrate tracks via the DAC in my modified 840C when reading or browsing. The UL and LCD-2 combo is very good on everything, musical and revealing parts that were lost in the mix. I can hear subtle things on demos I had never noticed!

Some great bits of UL/LCD-2 magic on music I like. On "Garvey's Ghost" the bass parts sound great and I can hear new texture in the tracks that are low in the dub mix. "Revolver" has the guitars, drums, strings, and vocals I love but sounding even better. "Live at Leeds" sounds brilliant, as well as the musicianship I can hear the echoes in the refectory clearly. Pop music like Adele sounds very good but hearing 80's hip-hop and rap through the UL/LCD-2's showcases the clarity and speed of the sound. You may not like Dizzee Rascal's "Fix up, look sharp" but it sounds out loud and clear via UL/LCD-2.

I have been listening to Kate Bush's "Director's Cut" and enjoying the new interpretations but hearing the remastered "Red Shoes" and "Sensual World" was great. There are vocal parts and instruments in some of the mixes that were inaudible, and now are an integral part of a complex mix.

On vinyl the sound I hear through the IL/LCD-2's is full, clear and very enticing. The depth and fullness of the bottom end is surprising. Overall the sound is very clear and more natural but there is a downside, in that tracking distortion and surface damage are exposed. Fair enough!

I should also add that the LCD-2's can be plugged straight into an iPOD, soundcard, or digital recorder. But I miss the detail and natural sound of the Solo UL.

Edited by Fatmangolf - 14 Jun 2011 at 10:59pm
Jon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic