FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

New Solo Ultra Linear

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Solo Ultra Linear
    Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 10:36pm
My new Solo Ultra Linear arrived just after 8am on Saturday and was plugged in before the kettle. First impression was the substantial feel and excellent finish of the casing, it looks and feels like a piece of Great British Hifi.

The sound is pretty good to start with, enthusiastic but not shrill. I left the Solo UL feeding an old pair of headphones and went on the shopping run.

On Saturday night it sounded fine and the same on Sunday. It's Monday night and I am listening now to a borrowed pair of RS1i's and very impressed by what I can hear. Very musical and really revealing. It's an interesting combination of the character of the Grados and the neutrality of the Solo. But I like the clarity of the sound and just how good pianos and cymbals are sounding, even in a busy mix. The basses and kick drums are great, which has been commented on by others.

The Solo UL hiss is soft and unobtrusive during music. However I can hear tape hiss and noise gates closing on some tracks, which is a tribute to the honesty of the Solo UL. It's a small price to pay for the musicality of my new headphone amp!

Thank you Graham for another great GSP hifi product. Clap

From previous postings by fellow members I know the sound will develop over the next month. I will report on it in case anyone's interested?
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 11:27pm
Do enjoy your new toy, specially after 500 hours or so of burn-in. BTW which power supply are you using?
Miguel
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 11:44pm
Thanks Miguel, I read what you wrote somewhere here or on Headfi about the 450-500 hours burn-in time so I am expecting the Solo UL to reach its full potential at the end of the month.

Very pleased with the PSU1 I bought a few months ago. It now powers the Solo and my Genera. My brother got the Green supply with the Novo DAK I built, lucky man!

Jon
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 6:04am
Enjoy Thumbs%20Up - as I am sure will.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 7:17pm

Thanks tg! Big%20smile

The new Solo is continuing to develop but it has only been burning-in for 5 days so far. Last night I tried a pair of the Audez'e LCD-2's with it and was really impressed by the clarity of sound. Thanks are due to Simon at Hifi Sound in Stockton.

[Aside on LCD-2's: very listenable and detailed presentation but without the mid and/or HF emphasis of many headphones. Tons of deep and punchy bass. My first impression was the lack of HF compared to other headphones but the detail is definitely there. My analogy would be the sound of a ribbon mic (see my avatar) compared to a condensor mic. I really like the LCD-2's. Star]

The Solo's two inputs and switching with mute is very convenient. I have my Genera and 840C connected to it now.

The Solo U-L is highly recommended and the 4th fine piece of kit I have bought from GSP. Sensible prices and a no nonsense approach backed up by great engineering is a terrific combination, but you all know that already!

Edited by Fatmangolf - 06 Apr 2011 at 7:23pm
Jon

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 9:52pm
I am loving the Solo Ultra-Linear with the borrowed LCD-2 headphones. Very clear and enjoyable to listen to (can't wait for the mature version in 2-3 weeks).

Crude calculations from the specs and using an oscilliscope suggests it will put about 100mW into them. Is that loud enough? My SPL measure and Leq would suggest it is, anyone else have a view on this?

Jon

mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2011 at 12:09am
If it is loud enough for you it is loud enough. Basically only you needs to be happy, do not worry about what others have to say, most have not heard your combo. Good luck.
Miguel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic