FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Graham Slee Power Amplifier

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 21>
Author
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 5:48pm
Blue Jean Cable ( http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/index.htm ) uses the Belden 5000, you can find the specs at: http://www.belden.com/techdatas/english/5000FE.pdf
Miguel
ServerBaboon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ServerBaboon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 6:54pm

Thanks, but I am bi amping so I need 4 conductors, the Canare cable could be worth a play with sometime though.

Steve

-------------

Various bits of GSP Kit ..well two so far, unless you count the cables that is.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by mrarroyo mrarroyo wrote:

Blue Jean Cable ( http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/index.htm ) uses the Belden 5000, you can find the specs at: http://www.belden.com/techdatas/english/5000FE.pdf

Although a shielded cable it could be used for speaker wiring. However, if one conductor was connected to the shield (the ground side makes sense), then adding the capacitances: conductor to conductor and conductor to shield, 10 ft (3.3 metres) is around 1.8 nF (1800pf), and reduces phase and gain margin considerably.

Ignoring the shield should improve matters by reducing the shield capacitance 50% but that's still going to be more capacitive than a similar length of side by side speaker cable. The one I'm using at present is something like 79 strand. It measured 160pf for something in the order of 10 feet (I wasn't measuring the length at the time - just cutting it to fit).

The CAT5, almost "knitted", cables I've heard about on the 'net measure incredibly high capacitance. These and similar proprietary speaker cables do change the sound! If you take an amp close to instability you get "ringing" ("hanging onto the note"), which does emphasize spatial content, giving the feel of super hi-fi/enhanced "holography" - but it's simply not real, and if it's not real it cannot be high fidelity. At the same time people are risking their amps, but then again, I guess they can play dumb and let the dealer/distributor/manufacturer pick up the tab... Wacko
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 11:17pm
So how did it go?

Well, attempt number one isn't going to make it into production. Based on JLH's class A amp of 1969 (circuit diagram below), it simply doesn't perform, period!

It probably would perform as shown but then again I believe the design to be flawed as when modeled it has little phase or gain margin, and as JLH mentioned in his article, it readily oscillates with a small capacitance across R3, the NFB resistor. Other designers may think that obvious, but with sufficient margin it should not - although the capacitance does reduce the margin, and therefore the original circuit had little leeway in this respect.

My simulation model based on this circuit was absolutely stable, and it was in practice too. However, what I was trying to do is back bias it so it wouldn't run so darn hot. The result being that it added crossover distortion which in my opinion was beyond the acceptable. I could have increased bias to the point this distortion became within acceptable limits, but the temperature rise would necessitate a much larger heatsink, and hence larger case leading to a much more costly product - and would it be salable?

What I do like about this configuration is its sound. Camouflaged extremely well, it appears in a number of great sounding op-amp output stages. Indeed it also features in the much revered "gain-clone" amplifier, but as yet I have to obtain a simulation that I feel has the right stability margins: the LM3875 data sheet tends to labour the point regarding additional stability components, suggesting it doesn't have much margin which is borne out by the open-loop frequency response plot (see data sheet here: http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM3875.pdf).

Another point about the LM3875 is its non-existent flat portion of its open loop response - it falls all the way from a few hertz at 20dB/decade and all the good points about the output stage will be negatively dominated by this - it is not "ultra-linear".

For now it's back to the drawing board. I am determined to find a way of biasing this superb sounding output stage into class AB and the LM3875 proves that can be done.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

The CAT5, almost "knitted", cables I've heard about on the 'net measure incredibly high capacitance. These and similar proprietary speaker cables do change the sound! If you take an amp close to instability you get "ringing" ("hanging onto the note"), which does emphasize spatial content, giving the feel of super hi-fi/enhanced "holography" - but it's simply not real, and if it's not real it cannot be high fidelity. At the same time people are risking their amps, but then again, I guess they can play dumb and let the dealer/distributor/manufacturer pick up the tab... Wacko

Graham, I was considering braiding an old cat 5 cable into short speaker cables to see what the fuss was about. Now I won't bother because you have explained the effect involved. Smile I shall stick to my figure 8 cables!

Even if it's just me that found your post very useful, thank you Graham.

Edited by Fatmangolf - 14 Mar 2011 at 7:45pm
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 11:35am

There are often little nuggets of such information in these discussions.

A good reason to follow along even when sometimes half of it is over my head.

Pity it would not play as hoped for.

Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 2:23am
"Plan B" is playing Big%20smile

In fact it's in mono because I only built the one channel, and although some amps sound "flat" only doing one speaker, this is far from "flat" sounding.

There are a few warts to sort out but I think they're only minor, but it returned 0.04% THD at almost full power into 8 Ohms and -76dB noise. OK, not fantastic measurement figures but I never intended it to be a specification star. I intended it to sound great and it's showing tendencies in that direction.

The simulated transient response showed rise and fall rates close to 28V/uS. 80-plus degrees phase margin and near on 30dB gain margin. This is what makes music.

So what is it? Well, I'm not giving away the circuit but the VAS (voltage amp stage) is the good old direct coupled NPN transistor pair (not the usual "long tailed pair") directly driving a Darlington coupled pair in the upper half and a complementary Darlington pair in the bottom half - I'm sure the technical amongst us can imagine what that looks like (it bears some similarity to the Dynaco ST-120 but it's not a Dynaco ST-120 by a long-long chalk).

It won't make it to stereo until the breadboarded unit has had chance to settle in and I get some proper PCB's made up. For the time being I'm enjoying mono Cool

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 21>
  Share Topic