FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Graham Slee Power Amplifier

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 21>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Graham Slee Power Amplifier
    Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 11:55am
A Graham Slee Power Amplifier?

Most people know me for Phono Preamps and Headphone Amps and maybe a few Interconnects, but as for the rest of the kit: Power Amps, Line Preamps etc, most people could think its not my area...

However, many years ago, power amps and line amps were just about all I did professionally.

The phono stages were just something I did for myself!

In fact, headphone amps were the first thing I started selling that I'd previously done professionally. I took a look at my old professional designs and figured out how to make them suitable for home use, and then I took a look at an old portable amp I'd designed for studio racks room engineers and turned the idea into the Voyager!

For a long while now I've been trying to launch a little preamp - you may remember a thread discussing it on here some looong time ago. The problem has been being able to audition my design work on that. What I really needed was a good power amp and speakers to make it the best.

Well, I reckon after making some modifications to some little Usher's (I can't get floor standers in here and many of you have the same problem too) I have some great speakers to audition with.

But as for the power amp, the absolute best sounding one to date is a PA amp! Believe it or not, the 500 Watt Citronic pro500 that's curving the bottom shelf of my rack because of the sheer weight of its transformer iron, is the best I've ever heard, but it just lacks that extra spatial info I know exists.

So I just thought I'd let you know I'm working on a power amp design - not a high powered one, but something around 30-35 watts - but it will sound big!

And no, it's not a gain clone - this will be an all-discrete neat little design and it won't get productionized until it sound-stages like the phono stages do in the best systems.

Keep following this thread and watch me develop it...

Graham
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 3:57pm
Very interesting Mr Slee.............................
less View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote less Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2011 at 11:41am
Very interesting Graham, looking forward to this!

Can you tell us which Ushers and what modifications you made to them? I ask because I am using a pair of stand mounted Ushers, which actually sound very good. Just wondered what changes you felt were necessary for the ones you are using.

Still waiting for your invoice by the way

Regards

Les
I don't do mediocrity!

Les Sutherland
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 11:26am
This would be very cool! Look forward to the outcome.
Miguel
iamalexis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iamalexis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 1:01pm
looking forward to hearing more on this
Analog Kid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Analog Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 1:05pm
Will it be Class A?  Tongue
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Analog Kid Analog Kid wrote:

Will it be Class A?  Tongue

Partly Wink
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 21>
  Share Topic