FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Graham Slee Power Amplifier

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 21>
Author
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2014 at 11:58am
There is nothing wrong with SMPS provided they have been properly designed.
The ones with the Proprius are up to the job in hand.
If you were to use just any old linear PSU with the Proprius you'd likely as not kill the transients and dynamics the amplifier can produce.

Graham knows what he's doing - trust him Smile

Edited by Chris Firth - 06 Sep 2014 at 12:05pm
bakastra View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakastra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 9:44am
Could someone please tell me how much the temperature of the Proprius is an issue, if kept on for many hours? The prototype had this nice radiator on top which suggests some power consumption... Our climate down here is prohibitive and the natural instincts are to live on class D power amplifiers, but this little device seems just so appealing to try..

Edited by bakastra - 18 Dec 2014 at 9:45am
Andrew
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 10:08am
Mine live in the South of France, and have been left on 24 hours a day.
It gets reasonably warm here.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
bakastra View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakastra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 10:20am
@CageyH -- that's quite reassuring, thank you!!
Andrew
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 5:06pm
Place them apart from all other equipment (don't stack them on or under other units) to be safe. These are very durable units and heat should not be a problem even when stacked, but better to be safe. Make sure to place them on a flat surface without any carpet or cloth or paper materials under them. When not mounted to a speaker cabinet, use the rubber feet to keep an airspace under the units.
 The Proprius Amps are designed to be placed close to each speaker to shorten the speaker cables. That is why they are mono amps. Shorter speaker cables and longer input cables, as apposed to the other way 'round, are found to be better in reproducing sound through the speakers.
 Placing close to each speaker, they would naturally be setting by themselves.
Bruce

Edited by BAK - 18 Dec 2014 at 5:09pm
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
bakastra View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakastra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 4:58am
Originally posted by BAK BAK wrote:

Place them apart from all other equipment (don't stack them on or under other units) to be safe.

Bruce, thank you! Placing near the speakers, sure.

Originally posted by BAK BAK wrote:

Shorter speaker cables and longer input cables, as apposed to the other way 'round

But.. are you saying here that a long input cable is better than the short input cable, or are you only saying that is better or rather not as bad as a long speaker cable? I was always trying to make them all as short as possible, to save a couple of dollars
Andrew
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 6:16am
To save myself a few €s, I made my own balanced interconnects.
My Proprius sit on the base of the speaker stands.
I have a 2m and a 5m interconnect, and 2 x 1m speaker cables.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 21>
  Share Topic