FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Capacitors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 5:16pm
Has anyone here tried using flux capacitors? Wink

Edited by suede - 13 Jan 2012 at 5:17pm
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by suede suede wrote:

With or Without upgraded parts? Yes, I am evil.
Miguel
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 9:39am
Originally posted by mrarroyo mrarroyo wrote:

Originally posted by suede suede wrote:

With or Without upgraded parts? Yes, I am evil.

Honest maybe, but not evil.

When trying "audio specific" parts such as capacitors I have found it best to reserve judgment until many weeks have elapsed.

A capacitor is much more a chemical process than other components (although they too often need as much burn-in). A capacitor shares similarities with a battery -- especially the electrolytic variety -- they have a life-span marked out for them and you really need to understand that and pitch the performance for their stable years.

I have tried numerous audio grade capacitors and they all place their own signature on the music. For example, Silmics are great at first but then turn brittle in upper registers and wash out all the emotion.

I have found by delving deeper into the "mechanics" of a circuit and pulling the devil out of the detail -- even the little dregs -- has a far better effect than an audio specific device.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 1:31pm
I'm sorry, it was a film trivia joke from the 1985 movie Back To The Future, in which they travel in time with the help of a "flux capacitor". Some truly magical capacitor there at least. I don't know if the word can actually mean something intelligable in the real world, if so that's not what I meant Confused

Edited by suede - 16 Jan 2012 at 5:20pm
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 4:51pm
Yeah, flux capacitor! Time travel. Great idea but too complicated to ever work, even if there is such a thing as a flux capacitor...

I wonder if Jensen may make one? Maybe we can modify a Blackgate or a Silmic...

Sorry all, I don't believe in audio grade components any more, or father christmas, or easter bunnies.... it's all an excuse for they to have more of your money than you do.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
discrete badger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discrete badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 4:59pm
If electrolytics have a finite lifespan, then wouldn't one expect simply renewing like-for-like with fresh parts, where they have driffted from spec, to improve the sound drastically? 

Once, whilst looking for something else I found a posting of one enthusiast who, despite liking the sound of an amplifier he owned, had opened it up and found an op-amp inside which some think is bad-sounding and therefore he felt he had to replace it immediately. Until someone else pointed out that the op-amp was doing some ancillary control function and was not actually in the signal path.....
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 8:15pm
1] Life time of an electrolytic is at rated temperature. General purpose and some "audio grade" types are 85 degrees celsius. That is very hot! The capacitor will last 1,000 hours or about 6 weeks before the fluid (which incidentally isn't the dielectric or insulator -- the anodising is that) which moistens the separating paper dries out completely. In use at ambient earth temperatures the life time can exceed 20 years.

2] I like that one! That is why we scrub off part numbers or encapsulate them. I had noticed so many great op-amps being discontinued thanks to forum land thickies and a certain retired gentleman called Bob "don't use anything but my own designed op-amp" of a now non-existent company snaffled up by TI who doesn't have a care for keeping the said companies products in circulation. So we bought all those great op-amps which became after that moment obsolete. You'll find a few thousand people raving about those op-amps without realising it. They are our customers...

I should add, it does help if the designer actually knows how to use them.

Edited by Graham Slee - 15 Jan 2012 at 8:16pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic