FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Capacitors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
ServerBaboon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ServerBaboon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Capacitors
    Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 8:23pm

I have read this but I don't have the knowledge to comment but I will post here for interest of those that do.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/testing_capacitors_e.html

Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 9:37pm
I quite liked this...

"Other valve afficionados swear by Hovland Musicaps, Jensen paper-in-oil, or Infinicaps (to name but 3 in favour on blogs) in the so called signal path and Cerafines or Black Gates in the power supply or cathode decoupling. There is no hegemony except that ridiculously expensive capacitors are believed essential in simple valve circuits to maintain any credibility among their peers. Fans of particular capacitor creeds do seem to express their views (especially on web forums) with a fervour that can only be described as religious. But, then they must justify the vast sums they have spent, like the emperor and his new clothes... or as the enlightened ones who we will eventually follow."

Wink
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
ServerBaboon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ServerBaboon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 9:10pm
Steve

-------------

Various bits of GSP Kit ..well two so far, unless you count the cables that is.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 11:02pm
"... a market that behaves like the art market ..."

That Mr Wheeler, he says it all you know Thumbs%20Up
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 6:20am

Thanks for the link SB - am in the ongoing process of attempting to extract improvement from my amp by a process of study and replacement of selected components for various of the rather generic ones it was built with.

The process so far has yielded significant improvement at modest cost.

Reading his article suggested a couple of areas yet to be addressed and a cheaper alternative to another area already considered but not yet addressed.

Interestingly, to me, I have yet to see those particular caps on offer at any of the usual purveyors of boutique parts.

daveyboyblue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveyboyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 2:44pm
Hi

I am no expert with electronics (far from it)...

I did however at a recent service have the caps in my ICON ST40 upgraded to jenson foil in oil and the difference in sound stage and added bass was amazing.
I am convinced that audio specific components do make a difference.

Cheers
Dave
Rega P7 + TTPSU + 2M Bronze, Gram Amp 2 SE + Cusat50 + PSU1, Icon Audio Passive + Icon ST40 KT88. Naim CD 5 (Level 2 upgarade) + Flatcap 2 (22v upgrade. Clic M1. AE AElight, Atacama Rack
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by daveyboyblue daveyboyblue wrote:

Hi

I am no expert with electronics (far from it)...

I did however at a recent service have the caps in my ICON ST40 upgraded to jenson foil in oil and the difference in sound stage and added bass was amazing.
I am convinced that audio specific components do make a difference.

Cheers
Dave

Some do... Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic