FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Foreign voltage and sound

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Analog Kid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analog Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Foreign voltage and sound
    Posted: 06 Jul 2008 at 4:38pm
I am considering buying an Accuphase E-450 integrated amplifier directly from Japan because it is much cheaper there (even after paying for shipping and local tax and customs) than to buy it locally from a dealer here, but even with a voltage transformer there are some things I am worried about. I was told voltage transformers only transform the voltage and not the frequency, so with a voltage transformer the amplifier from Japan would be getting the required 100 volts at 50 Hz.

My main concern is: will it cause any problems when an amplifier is running on a voltage transformer, such as phase issues or maybe added distortion or increased noise or hum? Or are there no problems involved?

And second, how important is the frequency for an amplifier and does it matter at all?

Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2008 at 12:08am
When they make them for over here they'll simply fit the right primary voltage transformer.

It'll run at 50Hz.... Thumbs%20Up

But all told the amp does around 500 watts!

So what wattage (VA) of transformer are you going to use?

It will have at least a 500 watt transformer if not higher.

So you'll need a 1kW transformer so you don't get a voltage drop.

How much is that going to cost you?

Not so much a bargain now? Thumbs%20Down
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Analog Kid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analog Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2008 at 5:01pm
The Accuphase E-450 integrated amplifier has an output of 2 x 180 watts at 8 ohms and has a power consumption of 450 watts. If I do buy it from Japan I plan on using it with a 1500 watt voltage transformer, just to be extra safe.

When adding the cost of the voltage transformer, shipping, tax and customs, the amplifier will cost me 4800 Euros (3800 £) from Japan.

Here locally it has a retail price of 6000 Euros (4800 £). But assuming I would be able to get a 10% discount from the retail price then the amp would cost 5400 Euros (4300 £).

Maybe it's not that great a deal after all. I am probably just better off buying it here, but only if I do get the 10% discount. I would never pay full retail price for something I could get 1200 Euros cheaper somewhere else.

But with a properly over-specified voltage transformer, there would not be any issues with hum, noise, phase or distortion, yes? Smile

Edited by Analog Kid - 07 Jul 2008 at 5:03pm
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2008 at 6:46pm
Make sure you place the transformer away from sensitive stages and interconnects.

Ensure the transformer is housed safely - we don't want to lose members! Wink

Also consider the need for warranty assistance - the dealer may be more expensive, but does he offer good after sales help?

This is the best advice I can think of.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic