FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Club

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee audio product wishing to use our loaner program: join here
Subscribe to our newsletter here (Rules on posting can be found here)

Focal Elegia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
robbiec View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbiec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 2:03pm
Understand now. That makes sense. A Pink Faun SPDIF bridge Smile perhaps?

PC with Flac | Lautus Power Wire | Bitzie | Focal Elegia and i'm a pretty happy camper. I get to listen to old favorites and discover them again anew.  

Off now to plan the vinyl side of the house. Proprius + Accession seems to be the route. 

Hang on tightly, let go lightly.

Voyager | Bitzie | Gran Amp 2 SE | Solo SRGII | Aria | Elegia
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 2:33pm
My system has been built around the Majestic-Proprius combination for several years because it provides all the sonic qualities I want. It is both precise and enjoyable. I don't really care about hifi; not really, I am motivated primarily by the music I like. 

Yes, I have a Pink Faun S/PDIF with dual coax out so in theory, I could have a double DAC system and do digital filters with speakers instead, to beat my very expensive but fantastic headphones. Or I could have one system for driving my reference headphone (no EQ) and the second system for independently EQ'ing the speakers. I am very happy with the S/PDIF card; it just works. A clear, transparent and expressive sound is achieved. If I were to choose USB as the digital interface and use the Pink Faun USB bridge, I would have to buy a Bitzie so I could split a single USB output into coax and optical outputs so I could double DAC with two Majestic. Would mean an extra product and cable and it wouldn't be any better than the S/PDIF bridge because Majestic converts USB back to S/PDIF before the D-A conversion.

Edited by Ash - 22 Jul 2022 at 10:00am
A person convinced against their will is of the same opinion still.
robbiec View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbiec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2022 at 8:55am
I'm liking the sound of PC (primarily Tidal streaming) | Bitzie | Elegia via Lautus USB - Power wire. This is my ne plus ultra for sound at home right now. Interestingly enough, Dell XPS | Bitzie | Elegia via Ugreen Type C to Type A cable caused a cousin to start bawling while listening to a U2 song. Emotional involvement box ticked! :) 
Hang on tightly, let go lightly.

Voyager | Bitzie | Gran Amp 2 SE | Solo SRGII | Aria | Elegia
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2022 at 6:18pm
Bitzie and Majestic both carry forward a very neutral and emotionally engaging sound. I listen to a lot of audio on youtube as I am interested in covers of game/film music. There is a lot of raw footage with live real instruments that is skillfully mixed/mastered and my system really enhances my enjoyment. Some of us don't care about super hi-res audio even though we spend a lot on our equipment. I still haven't listened to a single 24-bit recording with my £3.5k MySphere 3.1 after almost four years of ownership. All my reference stuff is 16-bit 44.1kHz CD quality. Hi-res doesn't mean well mastered or enjoyable to listen to.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2022 at 7:16pm
Apart from unevenness in the dB SPL response of my latest CHR-120 speaker drivers, I am enjoying them more than my headphone. CHR-120 cost me about £165 for a pair whereas MySphere 3.1 with accessories cost me about £3700 in total. If one has a pair of Proprius, DIY speaker audio is so much better value for money than high-end headphones. Not to say MS 3.1 isn't an outstanding headphone (it is fantastic!) but if I sold it, I could splash out on an incredible DIY speaker arrangement. Like five CHR-120 full-range woofers per channel in a star arrangement, four of them for deep bass. I want to do it with a second Majestic-Proprius chain and really see how far speakers have come!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic