FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Fake Reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fake Reviews
    Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 11:00am
After putting up with fake negative reviews and defamatory remarks from other forums I was pleased to find the UK government has been doing something about it.

The report published on 19th June last year (2015) can be read at:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/436238/Online_reviews_and_endorsements.pdf

It also applies to fake positive online reviews.

The very fact that the government has spent resources to investigate demonstrates that such underhand things are happening.

As well as my suspicions, I know from correspondence received that at least two fake reviews have taken place. I received an email from a reviewer who was reviewing a product of mine, saying a competing product sounded terrible and that the reviewer was going to publish the fact. I eventually saw the finished review which gave the product glowing praise and a product award. That therefore constituted a fake positive review in my opinion.

I think magazines should also come under the same scrutiny. There is one magazine which operates under conditions I find hard to stomach. For a certain fee you can buy a review and for twice that fee you can influence the outcome. I suppose if challenged it would be my word against theirs so I will not mention them here.

It also talks about fake blog reviews which I am pleased to see. A few years ago I ran some search software on my own site to discover how many inbound links I had and from where.

Inbound links are used by the biggest search engine in the world: Google, to determine a sites popularity and rank them accordingly, but Google never bother to verify how these links are obtained. To Google these inbound links look kosher, and they don't break any of their rules. They gave a site a higher page rank which means their results go higher than competing sites. An unfair advantage if cheated.

The software told me about two of my competitors when I ran the same scan on their websites. One was as clean as me, but the other had over 2000 inbound blog links. Obviously I didn't have the time to check them all, but all the ones I checked were highly postive reviews of this particular product. I wondered how such a relatively small outfit could afford to send so many items out at once. These things say they're hand built and I know how long things take to make, and we're talking about half a years production at a guess. Was this a case of paying bloggers a few dollars to write fake reviews. Unfortunately I will never know.

I also know I've been fake negative reviewed on at least two ocsasions: one amateur reviewer actually admitted he'd never heard my product, but that was too late - the damage had been done on one of the biggest audio forums in the world.

In another review, as is customary with some, I was sent the text of the finished review asking me to check details such as spec and pricing just prior to publication. I was over the moon with happiness that the product was being given such a good review. I then felt grossly angry when I read the published review which slated my product in every way possible. The original reviewers text had been rejected, and the editor of the magazine had written his own version never having had listened to the product in question! The review was a fake negative review toward me, and a very postive review toward a competitor, to my cost!

Many of you read that magazine. It is the one who approached me with the offer of paid reviews.

If anybody from the UK government would like to contact me regarding what I have written above I will be more than willing to help them with their enquiries.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 5:22pm
It is good something is being done about this corrupt practice. Although such magazines are obviously designed to draw a readership that will see the adverts that pay the magazine's staff and owner, those readers would assume the product reviews are objective. Some of the magazines do label product features and advertorials clearly to avoid any confusion. Some of the magazines state clearly where reviewers have received samples. Some of them do not do these things but they do have lawyers so no names please.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 6:34pm
Interesting, sad but not surprising and will see whether the investigation is more than warm words.

Always take Individual reviews (magazine, on line or newspaper) with a pinch of salt. Whilst not a user of facebook or any other similar social media I imagine it a piece of cake to spout all sorts of ill informed garbage 'pub talk' which then gets passed as fact.

The actions from the mags you describe does appear to
Stack up with rubbish written and not just hifi.

It would be nice to see this cleaned up.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 8:41am
Politicians here and in the States (and no doubt elsewhere) have proved that if you say something for long enough, with enough conviction, you get believed - whether it's the truth or not. 

The sad fact is we live in a "post-truth" world these days, and lying to get your own ends is virtually the norm in so many areas of life.
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 10:28am
Originally posted by morris_minor morris_minor wrote:

Politicians here and in the States (and no doubt elsewhere) have proved that if you say something for long enough, with enough conviction, you get believed - whether it's the truth or not. 

The sad fact is we live in a "post-truth" world these days, and lying to get your own ends is virtually the norm in so many areas of life.

Agree 100%.
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 3:15pm
Very true bob. Pub talk rules!
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 8:45pm
I wonder if buying adverts in some magazines helps to buy praise like buying a large round of drinks in a pub! I'd still like to believe the stars are sound ratings not for adverts bought.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic