FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Essential Classic Rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 15>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 12:43am
Originally posted by miT miT wrote:

I enjoyed that track, thanks for sharing Graham! My journey hasn't taken me into the realms of Genesis yet. Embarrassed But which era is the best, Peter Gabriel or Phil Collins? And did the sound change drastically? I only know a few from the Collins era.

Tim

I have now time to answer. I agreed with Andrew on where the trail went cold. Prior to that virtually all the albums had the same structure. Gabriel and Collins voices were so interchangeable that if you didn't know Gabriel had left in 1975, you could be forgiven.

The period from March 1969 to December 1976 saw the following releases:

From Genesis to Revelation (before Collins)
Trespass (before Collins)
Nursery Cryme
Foxtrot
Selling England by the Pound
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
A Trick of the Tail (after Gabriel)
Wind & Wuthering (after Gabriel)

From Genesis to Revelation produced by Jonathan King was mainly tripe of a religious nature. The first really good album being Trespass featuring the guitar work of Anthony Phillips, and when you could hear it (the mix is quite a dark one) it was very involving. It is one of my favourite albums.

The basic format was then set for the rest of the albums which always featured at least one "comedy" track. Nursery Cryme has two: The Return of the Giant Hogweed and Harold the Barrel; Foxtrot - Get em Out By Friday; Selling England by the Pound - The Battle of Epping Forest; The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway - Counting Out Time (with biblical references...); A Trick of the Tail - Robbery Assault and Battery; Wind & Wuthering - All In A Mouses Night (which is where it started going downhill).

In fact I only include Wind & Wuthering because of the last four tracks and Your Own Special Way on t'other side.

Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Selling England by the Pound, and A Trick of the Tail follow very similar formats, and if you can get into any one of them, you'll get into the others.

If anything the Nursery Cryme track Musical Box sounds as if it's the product of sexual frustration of a public school and Nanny nature. The album goes on to take the urine out of ageing church goers, and then tells the tale of how the giant hogweed was discovered and its escape to Streatham threatening the human race. Side two sees Horold the Barrel cut off his toes and serve them up for tea (hasn't a leg to stand on...). Prior to that there is Seven Stones which states that the changes of no consequence will pick up the reigns from nowhere, which sent an acid tripping pal round the proverbial bend! The sexual frustration thing continues in the closing track The Fountain of Salmacis. Played on a good system it sounds fantastic, and I do like this album.

Foxtrot is a selection of concepts one side and back to the religious thing for Supper's Ready lasting most of side two. It is bloody obvious it comes straight out of the bible (plus some history) - a lot of it being condensed from the book of Revelation, like: There's an angel standing in the sun, and he's crying with a loud voice, "This is the supper of the mighty one", Lord of Lords, King of Kings, Has returned to lead ... (see Revelation 19:17). Even so, and unless you've played it to death like I have, it is a captivating album.

Trick of the Tail best tracks IMO are Mad Man Moon and Los Endos, and off Selling England by the Pound, The Cinema Show - especially the rip off of a few notes from the Cadbury Milk Tray ad of that time . . . or was it Gillette? Never mind.

Those are the best IMO.

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is another trip into bible land by Gabriel with characters John and Rael with the dead giveaway lyric "is Rael" etc etc etc. Counting Out Time: the book of Numbers etc etc etc . . . but rude!

I was given a couple of latter albums: Invisible Touch and Three Sides Live, and had bought the 12" single of Land of Confusion (with Feeding the Fire as B-side). Don't like Invisible Touch really, whereas Three Sides Live is a great "sampler" of their developing format (backwards . . .). The 12" single features Land of Confusion twice - one a disco version - and its best track IMO: Feeding the Fire.

I hope this gives an insight to those considering adding Genesis albums to their collections.

Edited by Graham Slee - 13 Jun 2017 at 9:19am
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 9:41am
Good descriptions. 'All in a Mouses Night' is a bit naff!

'We Can't Dance' has its moments & is an improvement on 'Invisible Touch'.

Their last studio album, 'Calling All Stations' is a big disappointment & they sound like they
are going through the motions. Singer Ray Wilson has a good voice but alters the band's character noticeably.
I saw them on the tour for this album & they were excellent, but they just seemed to fade away
afterwards.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 2:50pm
I saw Genesis on the Foxtrot & Selling England tours & for me those remain as my highlight albums - the climax of Suppers Ready never failing to raise the hairs on my neck as I recall a satanic flying Gabriel (there's a bit of comedy in that track too of course). Selling England is the album I have re-purchased the most times over the intervening years out of several thousand. 

The last time I watched Genesis was at Knebworth on the 'Then There Were 3' tour and I almost wished I hadn't (although, growing up just a few miles away, I was able to see Zeppelin, Floyd, Genesis, The Stones, Santana, Skynyrd & many more of the 'greats' over the years). 

Some time after I watched Tom Petty in 2008, pleased that I had at last seen him I was looking through my old Knebworth '78 programme & realised that he had been on that bill all along. All I remember is Genesis (& Devo Shocked) & another inebriated guy slipping down into the tented cess pit whilst we were all ejecting excess liquids balanced on extremely wet/slimy scaffold boards. He went right under !!!).

Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by Drewan77 Drewan77 wrote:

All I remember is Genesis (& Devo Shocked) & another inebriated guy slipping down into the tented cess pit whilst we were all ejecting excess liquids balanced on extremely wet/slimy scaffold boards. He went right under !!!).

I've seen people getting well p*ssed at concerts but..

Edited by suede - 13 Jun 2017 at 7:45pm
Proprius, Reflex M, Solo UL, Bitzie, CuSats & Spatia
---------------------------------
Johan
itsmanhattan View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itsmanhattan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 12:17am
While on the topic, Ray Davies has always resonated with me from The Kinks "20th Century Man" - Not essentially Classic Rock, but you wouldn't have Classic Rock w/o the Kinks IMHO.

"I was born in a welfare state
Ruled by bureaucracy
Controlled by civil servants
And people dressed in grey
Got no privacy, got no liberty
Cos the twentieth century people
Took it all away from me."

Also a little softer than Black Sabbath's "War Pigs"!
Manhattan
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 9:53am
'War Pigs' - now there's a song.

Death and hatred to mankind
Poisoning their brainwashed minds...

Never been more apposite.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 8:57pm

Joni Mitchell Big Yellow Taxi - YouTube

"They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
With a pink hotel, a boutique
And a swinging hot spot"

Edited by BAK - 18 Jun 2017 at 8:58pm
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 15>
  Share Topic