FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Elgar, Vaughan Williams and British Composers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 1:52pm
Nice find Paul! I'd forgotten about this thread . . 

I've another set in this series - on Carl Nielsen, with a lot conducted by Douglas Bostock too. You can't knock it on a £ per disc basis, and the quality is pretty decent.

But Cowen, Bush (is that Alan or Geoffrey?), Gregson, Hoddinott and McCabe! That's going off the well worn track . . . we need another set with Rootham, Simpson, Brian, Holbrooke, Bowen, Foulds, Finzi, Bliss, Still, Ireland . . .  Wink
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
slinger View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 2:09pm
Don't forget Walton.  I've got a venerable old CD of his Symphony No.1 conducted by Sir Adrian Boult and the London Phil. It was remastered from the 1957 recording.
Paul
----------
SYSTEM - Black Boxes, Silver Boxes, Wire, and some rather pretty Wooden boxes.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 2:31pm
Ah Walton. I'm a total nutjob when it comes to Walton - I must have 12-15 versions of the First Symphony from Harty's very first recording of it to, I think, the latest by William Boughton and the New Haven Orch. When I'm in the mood I dig out the score and see where all the maestros go wrong! Evil Smile

But it is a great piece. If you like that, how about Roy Harris's 3rd Symphony. 20 minutes of concentrated symphonic thinking in the open-plains style of Copland. Bernstein's 1966 CBS recording with the New York Phil (CBS 72399) is the performance to beat (IMO) - even if the recording could be better. But this is going a bit off topic . . . Embarrassed
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
LOINER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOINER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 2:47pm
I am listening to RVW's JOB A MASQUE FOR DANCING at the moment on cd Vernon Handley/LPO on Classics for Pleasure cd I don't know how this version rates with any other version but I enjoy it
STUART
SOLO ULTRA LINEAR DIAMOND EDITION
LAUTUS DUAL MONO 1.5M INTERCONNECTS
GRAM AMP 2SE
slinger View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 3:27pm
I'm in what I suppose is best described as the light orchestral groove at this precise moment.  I'm listening to an old MLP Frederick Fennell recording of Eric Coates and Percy Grainger.

I'll definitely look up Roy Harris as I do like a bit of Copland.

Coming right up to date, have you listened to any Eric Whitacre?
Paul
----------
slinger View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 3:55pm
Paul
----------
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 4:14pm
Great link, Paul - thanks. Downloading now Smile 

Eric Whitacre is a fairly recent discovery for me. I came across his virtual choir videos on YouTube which are fascinating, and on the strength of those bought a Hyperion recording of his music. It's modern and timeless at the same time I find . .  Not unlike Arvo Pärt in that respect.

Frederick Fennell - must be the Eastman-Rochester Pops then? I've a couple of Mercury's of them - splendid stuff .Thumbs Up
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic