FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Elevator EXP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
captain scarlet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captain scarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Elevator EXP
    Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 1:45am
Hello everyone,I am wondering if anyone had tried a Elevator EXP with a Sudden IA4 Masterclass as it has a good mm stage ,(or so I am told anyway).At present I am using a Fanfare 3 with a psu .I have a niggle with background noise of which is not noticeable while  music is played at low volumes. I hear it at higher volume on quite parts of album.While I realise I will not get rid of background noise completely could this be a step in the right direction ?
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 10:36am
Graham has made the point that low noise phono stages often throw the musical baby out with the bathwater, as it were. Background noise in vinyl replay is surely only a problem if it's audible over the record surface noise?
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 11:16am
Hi Paul,
The Elevator EXP is a magnificent piece of kit & in combo with the Accession MM is a top class
MC stage that is better than the wonderful ReflexC ..which is up the range from the Fanfare...
With an Ortofon MC I notice very little hiss or hum. It is very quiet.

The Sugden MM stage is an unknown quantity so the best advice as ever is to contact the Australian
loan scheme organiser to arrange a shoot-out to see if the Elevator with Sugden beats the Fanfare.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
captain scarlet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captain scarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 2:31pm
Does anyone know if an Audio technics ATOC9/iii would be a suitable cartridge to use with a Elevator EXP mc step up amp . I assumed it is  ok but would like the opinions of others with a  better knowledge base  than my limited one as I have not changed the type of cartridge and phono amp for a while.
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 6:07pm
Hi,

If the ATC09/111 output is 0.4mv as I have read it should be fine as in the middle of the Elevator range though is higher than some cartridges including my own at 0.26mv which is at the lower end of the range.

You could try the loan scheme to check it out yourself.
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 6:08pm
What phono stage/pre amp are you using it with?
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 7:57am
Hi Paul,
I use the Elevator Exp with a good number of cartridges ranging from 0.25 to 0.5mv and including one Audio Technica (although not the OC9) without any issues.  I do use them with a GSP MM stage.
I also note that surface noise is more noticeable with some cartridges than with others.
I would reiterate the suggestion to contact Keith to arrange a trial for yourself.
Tony G
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic