FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Duette Dual Headphone Amp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sceptre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sceptre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2008 at 1:08am
Graham, I didn't mean to quash the Duette name but did feel that it was a dead end (commercially).  I'm not a fan of me too marketing but if it were in such demand then why have Apple resisted a two output device?  It is a differentiator but this is a mass market take up.  Kids will spend more money on their Hello Kitty iPod add on rather than SQ issues.

I think there is a bigger market in the custom 'wallet' that accepts a mobile source (Nano etc) and seamlessly access the data and adds an excellent DAC and amp of solo capability without the need for extra wires and elastic bands.  By making a Nano the sixe and shape of an iPhone with the required DAC, amp and cells t make a Solo on the move.  That would be hot.

2 models with the same external appearance - 1 Med Q with no DAC and a 'thumping' amp to beef up the sound for kids.  The other a top of the line unit with DAC, GSP magic amp (with high efficiency) and a 1/8 and 1/4 inch jack (one at a time though) so either can be used.

Names - iFi is TM'd by Klipsch.  iQ is some Piano tutor system.  You must check out the most absurd ipod accesory though (http://igrillwithgeorge.com/).  iPhoney - not an iPhone but looks like one - you'll get a lot of media attention for free. (currently a software package though http://www.tuaw.com/2007/06/21/iphoney-iphone-web-simulator/)

I like this product though.  The market you want are the iPhone and Touch users (not Nano).  Make the cradle take the iPhone and make call it the GSP iFiAmp.  42GB Touch with a £350 DAC amp addon.  World market looking for a neat solution for a market of growing discerning iPod users that now want to go upmarket.  Give them something neat (I mean without interconnect wires) that they can drive their Grado SR60's with.

I'm sure you have amp designs at hand.  Just get the 'capsule' or 'module' to hold the iTouch right and you are well on your way.

Beats the two boostaroo and elastic band idea I think.

Regards

Sceptre

PS - boost visits to this forum by allowing posters to be notified of updates to topics that they have commented on - people like it!

Kasper View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kasper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2009 at 1:07pm
Dual output jacks certainly appeals to me. I had already made up my mind, that my next amp is going to feature this, since shared experiences are the best IMHO. How great is it not to sit and listen to albums together in marvellous detail and presence!

Also its extremely useful when deciding on your next headphone for A/B tests.

If dual volume controls isnt going to increase the cost, I am all for it. Otherwise its no problem with just one volume control, not at all a deal breaker for me.

I do think the "duette" would appeal, even the utopian version, that have both inputs as chained pairs and makes the cost go above £200.

Edited by Kasper - 22 Feb 2009 at 6:20pm
Sceptre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sceptre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2009 at 12:54am
May I suggest two Novo Kits and an elastic band?

If you require portability I suggest a 30m extension cable.

Seriously, on sharing things with friends, I have found that 'timing' is often the core of the experience.
So why not have two very separate systems and try and sync the two playbacks together.

Regards

Sceptre - Chairman of the single out amp campaign.
Mac-Apogee Duet- Solo SRG PSU1
240GB iMod - ALO PV-Cap -Voyager, D10, LISA III
Cyrus DVD 7+Q
JH|13 Pro,D7000, Ed 9, RS-1, HD600 (APS v3), ATH ESW10, Pro750, HFI 780, IE8, SA6 HD25-11, e4c.
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2009 at 2:36am

Graham, how about the easy and cheap way of using a resistor to provide the low/hi impedance jacks? Thus if two headphones of different impedance are use the low impedance one would have large resistor in series to reduce the volume. I am not technical so do not laugh to hard at my idea.

Miguel
Kasper View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kasper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2009 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by Sceptre Sceptre wrote:

May I suggest two Novo Kits and an elastic band?

If you require portability I suggest a 30m extension cable.

Seriously, on sharing things with friends, I have found that 'timing' is often the core of the experience.
So why not have two very separate systems and try and sync the two playbacks together.

Regards

Sceptre - Chairman of the single out amp campaign.

Timing is important I agree, and so much easier on an amp with dual output jacks!
This way two people can share one great source on one great set of ICs. Think of the cost of what you suggesting here.

I have no plans for adding another source (CDP) for a long time (I am aware that you can get splitters.. but those will tarnish the SQ). Spending that money on heaps of music, is a much more enjoyable investment for me, besides I need a real good DAC one day too. And I would never consider buying two of the same amps either!

Two output jacks is the natural thing to offer, when you already have a product line featuring only one. I cant wait to see this happen.
Jitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2009 at 6:05pm

Portable DAC with amp to connect my iPod to.......

Nivana

.... but have to get the bits out of the iPod first.  Many have tried Cry

...... and that's my opinion, take or leave it
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2009 at 1:49am
Get an iRiver H120/H140 and an iBasso D10 w/ an small optical cable!
Miguel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic